Friday, November 17, 2017

South to North tour: Day 19 Infiltrating Auckland libraries




By the numbers
13.16 kms
19,097 steps
2 libraries

The day started off at some early hour in the night as I never bothered to check the time as someone had a very late arrival into the hostel. I shouldn’t complain as I had done the same too several trips ago after my plane refused to leave during a storm. I thought I had set my alarm, but I was up at 7am anyway as I had something I needed to do and that was some research at the library, although reading books and making copies of the pages I wanted could be classed as ‘study’ and maybe cheaper too as I do not need to buy the books. The day turned into another really nice one once I got outside heading to Maccas for breakfast. Its the one place that has something to eat with a coffee that doesn’t cost the earth unless you are buying books with that. Their toilets were out of order for some reason that I never questioned as I didn’t need them yet.

The library never opened until around 9am and I still had around an hour or maybe 40 mins at the max, which meant I wanted to go wandering. I took a walk along the harbour wanting to first visit the Rainbow Warrior memorial and head off to the Tepid baths in the other direction on the other side of the ferry terminals in the Viaduct area. I came across a very important rock that was behind the fenct that had the historic places marker on it. It was the Te Toka Maumahara otherwise known as the point where the white settlers had planted the flag when the Maori chief Te Kawau gifted land for the settlement of Auckland. I am unsure if I had seen this before or if I had it was in my pre blogging days. I found the ports people are wanting to bring the rock out from not being known so it can be touched by the people of Auckland with its own commemorative thing made for it. Further up was the memorial for the Rainbow Warrior sinking when the French sank it to stop the protests against nuclear testing. I thought it best by now to turn around and I wanted to see the baths before it got late.

Wandering past the ferry terminal I had to visit the loo with a need that made me really need to say hello. I found they were doing final boarding for Waiheke Island. I was at that gate with a thought I could end up there just to procrastinate, but meant I would have to return. I got stuck next to an American talking with his wife when I was trying to cross the road at the maritime museum. I wanted the Viaduct area as thats where the baths were. I think it was part of the recovery of the WW1 soldiers and had hot water running into them from the trams.  The pipes had gotten rusty so had to be removed, but they made a display that had gone rusty to remember them by. I had seen some artworks across the road so I followed them and then went up to the upper level of the highway so that I could get a close look on one of them and I went back to the same level as the baths. I could have just crossed the road, but I wanted to see what was further on. I had come this way last year when I was making my way to the ferry and had wanted to go back for a look. Thinking it was best to head back up to Hobson Street, I took some more stairs and noticed a gathering of men underneath it as I walked up. There were some homeless hanging out there, but they seemed to be happy where they were. I turned off up the street as I had seen on the map a church. It turned out to be the third building of St Patricks on the site as there had been two before it in the 1840 and 1848. This one had been started in 1884, but was finished in 1908. Reverend Pompallier seemed to have his hand in every church that I had a look at. I went inside for a look and took some photos especially of the organ. On my way out I donated some loose change to the restoration of one of the buildings across the street and to be funny, I put 10 cents in the lost souls tin. I think that one was kind of empty from the sounds of the coin hitting wood. I knew now was the time that I had better head to the library or else I could be stuck in a big way. Down to Queen Street I went and through another side street that included a bookshop that I knew I would visit later.

I entered the library, went up a floor and went back down to the cafe for a coffee. I really needed a coffee and then I went to the top of the building where the research room was. It was sort of research when there were a few people there and I was doing my thing. I had a list of books, but I didn’t get them all. At first I had no idea where to look as the research area was divided into Normal NZ history, Maori history and family tree history. I had my list and went to work, although I was more copying passages with my phone that writing anything. I found it easier to get what I was after as I wont be back. I checked to see if what I picked out was relevant and there were a few books that were not. The funny thing was I came across a few that I already had especially when they were also in the post. I did stop for lunch and another coffee as I went back up to look through more books. I think I have found what I was looking for, but unsure if I have everything that I wanted. I ended up in the maori section and had a quick look through the family history section to find that it was overseas history, but I found a 2017 book from Ohio about cemetery wandering and it was interesting. My next plan was to walk into the university library.

My plan didn’t quite workout that way as I went for a wander down the side streets opposite to Queen street. I came across Freyberg place where the Chancery Square that had a bit of expensive eateries there. I had walked into Whitcoulls on the way down and it was a shadow of its former self as it was no longer in a three story building, but in a small back alley building. For some reason I ended up in two second hand bookstores looking at books and giggling at a guy who was looking at the New Zealand history books and his girlfriend telling him he can come back tomorrow. He was out of the way and I had gotten what I was looking for. My bag for the plane is 23 kilos. I don’t think I have met that weight yet. I think I have enough. I was interested in the history of the streets as O’Connell Street had information panels, but I would be back. I walked up to the university noticing that there were a few people who had graduated. I entered the library thinking I had gotten away with entering and being unnoticed. I realised I had no idea where I was supposed to be looking and no internet access to search. It was funny as I ended up with the 1920 parliamentary debates. I thought I should wander out and go look for some food.

I headed back down towards Fryberg place with its Pioneer women’s memorial Hall, which had me interested, but I couldn’t see anything. An info panel about Chancery Square said this was where Auckland’s Mechanics Institute established in 1842 was until Auckland’s library opened up and the books were moved to there. I ended up finding a place to sit. The guy serving me asked if I wanted a seat inside or outside in the summer air. I said outside and sat next to two ladies. He told me that I had made a strategic move and I laughed and said yes. The ladies ignored me though I think they seen me reading my book and  did order a steak. I wanted steak and I got steak. When I went to pay the machine said no credit. I could only pay some of the meal with cash as I was $12 short. I was a little worried that I would need to get some cash out somewhere as the machine said no credit and I was declined on cash. The manager came around and we had a discussion where I appoligised for not having enough cash and they still had no credit. Magic appeared when it turns out I was allowed to do credit. I was happy and the manager was happy too. I apoligised again before wandering off for my tour of O’Connell street knowing I needed more cash on my person. There were older buildings that had been there from early Auckland where it was part of a network of secondary streets and laneways. O’Connell Street had appeared within a newspaper in 1843 so it was an old narrow street.

I decided that at this late hour even though it was lose to 630pm that I should make my way up Queen street to where I knew a bank was and to have a shower after a long day. On the way through I was passed by a happy clash of sounds that were Hare Kristnas going down the street. I found a bank and had to wait for a lady to exit as my car swipe would not work. No idea why. It didn’t with another lot of people, but I was able to head back to the hostel between drops of rain. I was hoping that I wouldn’t get stuck and wandered through K’ road as I wanted an easy walk into the hostel instead of puffing up a huge slope. It was a good walk and I was happy to be back in my room again. I know public transport over the weekend might be a bit iffy as they are working on the rail lines and the trains might not get past Newmarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment