Tuesday, November 21, 2017

South to North Tour: Day 23 Auckland to Gold Coast, Homeward bound





By the numbers
1 plane
20 kg bag
3.09kms
4,486 steps

I decided that since today was meant to be wet according to the weather website I would sleep in. Seemed like several other of the roomies in the hostel room were on the move as well. I thought it would be best to stay in bed a bit longer and then head over to the airport by bus after checking out. At least this time there was no fire down the street that would restrict movements. Luckily I did not even hand over cash as I used the transport card for Auckland known as the AT Hop card that I had been using all week.

Once at the airport I had a bit of time and I checked the weight of the bags to see how far over I actually was. Turns out not at all unless I was flying with Jetstar, who I was not flying with. I could put more stuff from my back pack into the main bag. The boxes of chocolates did take up a bit of room. While waiting for checkin to open, I observed the Air New Zealand style as its like their domestic terminal where you put the bag and tags on yourself to be sent off. I had a cup off coffee and did see on the ground floor that the Relay shop had post packs for New Zealand. I would later go back to have a look to find that if I had actually been overweight, I could have used international post. It was a great idea for next time to keep in mind. Not sure if the same applies for other airports. Once I was able to check in, I was for the time being the second person in line although I think I was the first for my particular flight. I was asked to remove my hat and sunnies so they could see me better. The guy beside me was happy to pay $300+ for extra boxes he had with him. No idea what was in them though. I was asked if I had a power pack, which must have people thinking I am the sort that has one. I thought it was a double adapter, but soon realised two different things.

After doing the rounds upstairs where I had walked back down, I found the line for the flights was actually pretty long, but I was happy to be sorted early. On the way to the other side of the terminal for my wander, I passed a guy dragging his kayak behind him. It was plastic, but that didn’t make me wonder. I was wondering if he was going to catch a bus and how he was going to transport it. I didn’t have a gate number at the time so had to wait for that. The Auckland Airport was being renovated / upgraded so there were quite a few changes going on. I think the departure lounge area was going to be updated to look even better. I did end up with a long walk to gate 17 that I could say as one where I could have drunk all my duty free alcohol. It was a very long walk, but with the waiting, I had finished my current book I was reading and since it added to the extra weight in the bag I left it behind. I was happy to fly with Virgin, although it did not seem to be a full flight back to the Gold Coast. There were plenty of seats vacant when I used the loo. The funny part was the lady beside me started knitting and I never knew you could bring those on board. I wasn’t complaining, I was just happy to read my book.

The flight had no dramas of any sort and I was happy to be back in the country after a three week holiday. It was time to head back into work and earn some money. Besides, Christmas is on its way and getting closer by the day. I found even though the flight was early, I got through immigration and customs within 10 mins or so at least. They knew I had chocolates, but never even looked at what I had. I still had to be picked up, but that ends the trip away and I should plan for a local trip away sometime next year. Bags with wheels are something that I do not get. I watched one guy get out of a car and leave his bag on the footpath and it rolled off and ended up on the road. Another guy looked awkward hunched over trying to pull a bag that should have a long handle, but didn’t. I had a coffee while I waited as I wanted to unpack and wash my gear as well as put it all away.

No comments:

Post a Comment