Tuesday, November 14, 2017

South to North Tour: Day 16 Whangarei road trip




By the numbers
1 cemetery
2.39kms
3,469 steps

The last day in Whangarei and I woke up earlyish where I was going to have a relaxing day. I had to get the washing done before I left for Auckland tomorrow or else I would be carrying three bits of dirty clothing instead of just the one and need to get the washing done earlier than expected while in Auckland as I could be anywhere. I don’t know what the weather had in store for me, but I was greeted by sunshine in the morning so I would guess that most of the day might be just like that. I was asked what I would like to do and the only place that I had not visited was actually the Kamo cemetery.

Claude and I looked at a map to see where in Kamo the cemetery was located. It was not actually that far within Kamo, which is part of Whangarei on the north side. Claude drove and i was not actually very far away for us to actually get there even though the road seemed to look like it was a property with a mailbox outside the driveway. The first Pakeha burial was around 1881 as it was before this time a Maori burial ground according to the website. I found once we drove in that it was a small, but nice little cemetery and I took a wander through it for around half hour or so. There did not seem to be too many older graves like in the other cemeteries, but I felt it was worth the look. The clouds were rolling across the sky and I was wondering if something was going to happen.

We had to do some shopping at the shops on the way home, but to get there we took the backroads that I had not even realised would take us all the way to the Tikipunga supermarket. I thought it was interesting as I followed my map on my phone as to where we were going. We did go out to see if a cousin was home and found she was not so we went to the shops and headed home. By this time it was threatening to rain and I had help in getting the washing off the line, which was actually dry. I was thinking of going for a walk, but it decided that it would rain instead so I ended up watching Youtube videos on my computer. While this was happening a family friend, Betty turns up for a visit and I had to say hi and all the usual stuff. While she is here the weather decides it wants to be wet for the rest of the afternoon. I did eventually start putting my bags together for the inevitable trip back to Auckland and did not really want to sort that out in a hurry in the morning. I did not know how much I had n my AT Hop card, which is the transport card for Auckland and I soon found after registering that I could see where I had been last year and the amount I had left, which was enough for a few more trips around. I didn’t think that I had anything left on the card, but I made sure anyway.

Tomorrow the last leg of my trip begins and we shall see what happens next. I think much of the research I want to do has been done and I will keep an eye on books that are around, although looking books up online and finding they are $200+ is a bit crazy. I think I have had plenty to learn so far on this trip away and it is always good to get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment