Thursday, November 2, 2017

South to North tour: Day 4. Christchurch to Wellington




By the numbers
Fitbit doesn’t like WIFI
The day started with me waking up with the sounds of birds only to find that it was 5am. I went back to sleep, although I was worried my alarm wouldn’t go off and that my phone battery would die on the bus. I wanted to order my archive records on the bus or see if the wifi would allow me as the bus blocks certain websites. I charged my phone while I got ready before leaving. I knew my way to the bus as I made sure I knew the streets to walk from the day before and got food and coffee at the same place as yesterday.

The bus arrives and I checked the connections and no interwebs. The driver tells us this ‘aint the usual bus so no wifi. At least I know I will save on battery and might not need to charge things later. We shall see what happens on the boat. An 8 hour trip on the bus and then a 3 hr ferry ride. It means I get to Wellington at 10pm, which is a long day. Then again there were road works along the way that I knew about before hand. While there was no internet, it didn’t mean my charge on the phone wouldn’t go down as I was using it mainly as a camera instead of internet surfing. I did get a snap of internet at Culverden so I could post a few pictures. This was a pit stop and from there we ended up at Hamner Springs, which I don’t know much, but a one way bridge says alot when they include traffic lights for it. I think I would like to explore this place, but maybe a tourist town for other stuff like families.

Our lunch stop was interesting as we ended up in Springs Junction after going through the beautiful Lewis Pass, which showed off its wild side. The roads were good, but as I found out for a state highway there seemed to be more roadworks here than anything I have ever seen. The road was the main road after the earthquake last year that cut off Kaikoura north so there was a huge blockage. Springs Junction to be honest was merely a truck stop that got a bit of traffic. This was where the bus driver tango began as we changed drivers. The new driver was taking us to Picton. On the way one girl became sick and the driver couldn’t pull over as there was nowhere safe until we really got to Merchison though there was some town that I forgot about before where she refreshed herself.. What I didn’t realise at the time was that we were starting to run a little behind due to road works that never really ended with many stop go people who were happy to stop us even in the middle of what we thought to be nowhere. Someone has made a profit in witches hats as they were everywhere and it was like an invasion of orange. Several of the towns before Blenhiem were historic of some sort, but I seen lots of grapes and one farm had roses growing at the end of the rows.

On making it to Blenhiem, it was here I realised that we were an hour behind and I was getting worried as I needed to catch the ferry to Wellington. I hadn’t been worried until now and that the driver mentioned it.  We actually arrived with half an hour spare so that I could check myself in and put my luggage in too. I was relieved to have made it as I was starting to get stressed that I would run out of time. We had arrived around 535 and we had meant to be there around 430pm. Roadworks from hell put us back. Deciding I didn’t want to wander Picton, I stood at departures sneakily charging my phone at a coin operated computer. It was by this time at 48% and I wasn’t sure if I could charge my phone on the boat. I found I could actually do so while on the ferry. I found food and had a roast before the nice ferry departed with enough time for myself to clamber to the top deck and watch the world go by. It was getting cold too and just before the ferry departed the sounds into the strait, I went inside to warm up as I did not want to get sick.

The ferry ride over was not that bad, although the free wifi that I had access kept dropping out. I don’t know if this was because of where I am on the boat as I was in the Quiet zone. I wasn’t too worried, but could have been worse without me being unable to charge my devices. I turned up to the hostel right across from the train station and I had an interesting time. I found I will be playing musical rooms not once, but twice in the time I am here. Different and there is a charge for internet, but easily fixed when Maccas is next door and a deposit of $12 for the towel, which $10 is the bond. I couldn’t stay in the YHA as they were booked out on some of the days I wanted, but the Waterloo hostel is close to the Archives. I see a dodgy powerpoint in the room too so it will be a fun stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment