Saturday, November 12, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour Day 6 wandering plans change like the weather




By the numbers
1 wet day
1 movie
28747 steps
19.83 kms
I did think the weather would be the same as the day before so had the thoughts to resume my climb up Kaiti Hill after I had something to eat. I was starting to wonder about the weather and while I was inside it had rained and I did not notice. I had other ideas to hire a bike to go see a beach that had a marked grave for some whales, look around the book sale at the local library and go see the old goal if time permitted. I had no sooner left the dryness of Maccas when it started to rain.

I usually carry my wet weather gear and this time I did have it as I broke out my brolly while heading to the foot trail hoping the rain would stop. With the drizzle turning into a steady stream of water, I put off my tour up the hill as I thought the trail would be slippery and muddy two things I could do without so I headed back across the river to town. I took a back street to the info centre as I was going to consult that map, but I got myself a little lost, but found my way to the info centre. I wanted to visit the goal as it was a historic sight and wanted to see what information there was about it. I had to turn pack as the wind started blowing and the rain was annoying as I would have to put away my brolly and I did not want to do that at all.

The wet weather looked like it was set in for the day and I thought I would see the booksale and then see a movie instead. There were plenty of books at the library, although they were still setting it all up. I lost interest even though the books were $2 each. I did not have the room for books like that and went to check to see the movie times. I had to wait half hour before the cinema would open and I chose the new Jack Reacher movie as I had seen one of the others that was showing. I walked into a cinema waiting for a movie to start and found I was in the wrong place. I had wandered into cinema 1 and not 5. I had sat in to see Contact that started at the same time, so I made my way to the new cinema that was smaller and had comfy seats unlike the other one. The weather did seem to clear up while I was in the movie, but I found myself some lunch before trying for a second time to visit the old goal.

On the way to the goal, I came across Sunshine breweries, but I thought it best to keep walking. I don’t want to drink while wandering town, but at least I knew where it was. The old goal was at the Olympic park, but i was not what I expected. Sure it was old, but no signs or anything told the story other than the murals in the windows. It really did look like a run down building. I followed the foreshore track back towards the hostel as it was trying hard to rain again. I thought that it would be best to sit back and read a book for a little while during the afternoon. Also needed to sort my gear out as I would be leaving early the next day for Whakatane. I am hoping since I catch the bus at 8am that the roads will be quiet and still  have to think of the way that I want to take to get to the bus stop. I cant afford to get lost again even if I try to use free wifi like at Maccas. I was having a laugh with some Germans in my room last night as they had said they find Germans everywhere in the most unexpected places like on top of mountains. I didn’t do as much wandering as I had done the day before though I think that is a good thing. I was also happy a friend back home, Dawn got her PHD and is now a Doctor, which is awesome. She has done the hard yards in getting it done and for that I commend her.

Hopefully the weather on my way to the bus is fair as I do not like the idea of walking to the bus in the rain, but at least it is not winter in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment