Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour: Day 24 Wandering to Auckland from Waiheke Island





By the numbers
1 fitbit that had monsters fighting on the screen.
21,550 steps
14.85kms
1 ferry
3 trains

I got up early as I was hoping that it would not be raining and hoped that I could get to the ferry in a timely manner. It wasn’t that far to walk to the cafe where I wanted to have some breakfast. I had heard the cafe was a Turkish cuisine one and I never noticed when I was there at the time. Once I had ordered, I had the cafe chick ask if I had been camping and I told her where I was staying. She asked if I had gone on any of the walks and I told her I had and spoke about the wreck I had found. Not everyone actually understands when I mention an old boat down in such and such. I said that its a bit stuffed go take anywhere. Once I had eaten and made my way to the bus stop where I didn’t have long before the bus came. I was watching how silly the ducks were as one flew onto the road and stood there in front of a car before running off in front of another car.  Having no problems getting a ticket, I was surprised by the slowly growing line before the ferry arrived. People had literally appeared out of nowhere.

The ferry ride over to Auckland wasn’t that bad at all and I was reading on the way over, although it didn’t seem like a very long trip. I was looking forward to getting to the city and sorted out. I had washing that needed to be done and once I was free I could go anywhere. I knew I needed the city link bus that does a circuit of the CBD area of Auckland and visits Karangahape road, which is near where I needed to walk to the hostel. I was happy with that and when I got there, I couldn’t check in until 2pm and it was around 11am. I spent the entire time doing my laundry and while in the dryer, which had a huge amount of lint in the catcher. I had lunch and walked past a barber, where I ended up getting my hair cut along with a huge amount of product put in. I was hanging around the hostel waiting for the time after I had picked up my dried clothes. My bags were in storage so they were safe where they were. Once I could check in, I got my bags out of storage, which had multiplied since I had first been in there. Once I sorted out my bed and found a chest I could lock my gear in, I was off to the train station.

I wanted the train to Otahuhu as I had seen a memorial for a soldier involved in the Waikato wars. He was Colonel Marmaduke Nixon and the monument was located on the Great South Road, which was once the trail the soldiers took when going down to the Waikato region to fight the Maori and there were redoubts and other defensive positions built along the way. While on the train I soon discovered free wifi at the train stations under the name of At Hop being the name of the travel card.  I had bought myself an updated set of Auckland maps better than anything you can find online especially when they include cemeteries. I followed the map to the Nixon memorial and looked around before heading back. I had taken a few pictures that I wanted since I seemed to be collecting New Zealand wars monuments. The next idea I had as the day was slowly running out was to visit Manukau. I had flipped to the correct page and was wondering where to go as it was an area that I had little interest other than the Great South Road and Redoubt road that once had a redoubt somewhere nearby. I spotted a settlers cemetery so wanted to look at that. I did have the thought of visiting the botanic gardens, although I am not so sure I can walk there after looking at the map. Not with Auckland type traffic.

I think I was doing a tour of Auckland by going out as far as I could since Manukau was as far as I could go on that line. It looked like the shopping centre had been placed there and the town grew around it. I wasn’t actually sure what to think other than it reminded me of the Tweed area. The cemetery was really a memorial, which was in memory of the Woodside Methodist cemetery right next to the Rainbow’s End theme park. I did wonder if that was why it was no longer a cemetery or because of everything else too. The theme park had been shut for the day and I headed over to the shopping centre with the intention of heading back to Britomart. I ended up stopping for a bite to eat as I needed some fuel. I knew to listen to my body and I fed myself before wandering off again realising the shops were closing. I headed to the train station to find one train had been cancelled due to signal problems from Britomart and another would soon be arriving 20 mins later. I wouldn’t have attempted to get a bus as the traffic had been bumper to bumper the entire time I had been in Manukau. We were soon off by train that I was happy to be off again before it became dark.

It was after 7pm by the time we arrived in Britomart. Britomart is the main train station in Auckland city and was once a fort well before the train station at Britomart had been built. Something similar happened to Fort Macquarie where the Opera House now stands in Sydney. I caught my friendly link bus up to Karangahape Road and this time I wanted to visit a New Zealand War monument in Symonds street cemetery. I had a fair idea where it might be and with it slowly getting cooler and dark, I went in search. Down by the highway overpass, I seen someone sitting with a bag and told myself I am going no further with people sitting around down there especially when I was on my own and it was getting late. The person could have been harmless, but I didn’t want to find out and maybe he was thinking the same of me as well. I do not know. I headed back to the hostel where I found the card wouldn’t work in my room. It got me into every other door except where I was staying. I got that fixed and had a shower as I needed one especially since I had a hair cut.

The plan for tomorrow is to visit the New Zealand national Archives. I have two options and that is to catch a bus or to get a train part way and catch a bus, which was what I would do anyway. Afterwards as I would have fried my brain go for a walk up One Tree Hill all because I can. We shall see if that plan actually happens or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment