Thursday, November 10, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour: Day 4 On the road to Gisborne





Kms 5.32
Steps: 7649
Entertainment: looking out the window of the bus

Times the bus stalled: 1

The day started early as I had to sort myself out by getting food before checking out of the hostel. The hostel has been interesting so far, but entertaining. One guy yesterday even askd if there were call girls in the hostel and was after a single room. I have heard the place is for sale and the sale has gone through along with the previous manager was treated like family and had not been paid for the last 9 months. I don’t know the story behind that, but it does scare the current workers a touch and I don’t blame them as their job could be up in the air.

I was allowed to stay in the hostel an hour later as my bus did not leave until midday. I was happy that they let me hang and charge my phone while waiting. I was reading killing the time before I walked off. The Canadian lady wished me luck and told me that she loved travelling through Oz, but its a huge place. I replied that many locals have not seen that much either. I found there were several bus’ parked at the station and I waited for mine to turn up. It turnd up and while the driver loaded people on one Chinese lady got agitated after she hopped off as her bag was apparently still in the bowels of the bus. She wantd her bag and the driver was getting annoyed and he told her when she pointed at one door that it was the engine even when he lifted the flap. Then she found her bag sitting on the ground in front of others with their bags, it was like the light had finally gone on and she did apploigise to the annoyed driver. We found that the bus would get to Rotorua later than expected and that we would have a 20 min wait.

The going out of Hamilton was slow and the time was ticking away. It soon dawned that we would arrive in Rotorua later than expected and that the drivers would be changed. I knew the driver change, but the rest stop would only now be 10 mins as we were 25 mins late. I was hungry so found a quick bakery with sandwiches that only had egg left. That was lunch, but the new driver promised a rest at Opotiki past Whakatane. I will eat again then, but I will be happy to arrive in Gisborne with plenty of light to get to Gisborne and the hostel. Still the drive was not that bad and I got to get my first look at Whakatane on the way and found where I was staying without leaving the bus, which gave me some relief as it was not far from the bus stop in the town. That was the reason I booked a room where I did at a pub.
The stop came up for Opotiki and we were given a little bit of time for food and a coffee. I opted for a pie as I would have something more later on. I did not see very much to the town at all, although I wasn’t willing to walk very far to find out in case the bus left and I did not want that to happen. The road did become very windy and turney with some very rough country out that way. It did look very spectacular as you went past with the sheep grazing on the farms and the small towns dotted all the way along. We did not get into Gisborne until around 7pm and I was by that time very happy to get off the bus. I wanted to get to the hostel before it got dark and I did not want to get lost either as I have a habit of doing. I found myself a stationary warehouse where I know I will get free wifi if I head that way another time and a few other shops. I did head for the bridge when I had my bearings and the bus I was in passed me and stopped at the bus depot two streets away from where I was walking to. I never stopped for the photo op that I wanted.

The hostel was very easy to find even though it was a short walk for around 20 mins and because I was so nice to the lady at checkin, she gave me a towel even though they are for the people in the single rooms. I was expecting the room to be full and I have to get the top bunk, but that was free so I claimed it. I couldn’t find the loo so waited until I ordered my tea before I asked and the lady showed me a door where I was staying. I had thought it to be a sliding door to the bathroom. I never said I was bright.

Tomorrow I am heading to the cemetery as it has something about the Poverty Bay Massacre, which is to do with Te Kooti a Maori who escaped from prison on the Chaptham islands and basically started a civil war type uprising. I passed it on the bus so know it isn’t too far from where I am even if it is at least 2 kms. I don’t have free wifi s have to use the internet sparingly as i only have a certain limit I can use. Different hostels have different internet access. Not all are free. I never went to explore the town as it had gotten dark pretty quickly. That is why I have two full days here and you never know I might find a tour takes me somewhere new. I did hear from the guy who is staying in the same room that the bus from Napier broke down yesterday and took 4 hours to get to Gisborne and stalled on the hills on the way. I am happy to be in what is known as a surfie town.

No comments:

Post a Comment