Sunday, November 27, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour: Day 22 Wandering to Waiheke Island





By the numbers
10,556 steps
7.32kms
2 bus’
1 ferry

The day started off blowy and there was a slight chill in the air that I was willing to ignore and could do so for most of the day. The night before I had spent a bit long doing my blog as I was distracted by the TV and the shows like Supernatural. You could be mistaken that it was far from being anywhere near summer. I made sure I was at the bus stop ahead of time and my fitbit said the distance was only 400 metres from the motel I was staying at. That never bothered me and I was happy to finally get the bus down to Auckland, although I had to wait in Kerikeri for the next one. I had to throw my own bag onto the trailer of the mini bus and we did the same course as we did several days before. They loaded the bags onto the other bus if you were going further and we had to wait for the bus to return. I was happy to do that and needed to use the loo anyway. The brain niggled me once the main bus arrived that my bag was still on the other bus having been missed even though I knew better.

Since I had not taken the bus from Kerikeri before the trip just seemed to take longer and I wanted to get off. By the time we got to Whangarei, the bus was full. Everyone was wanting to head down to Auckland. Using the wifi I managed to get myself an app that could scan archive documents and turn them into a file. I will learn how to do this and then give it a try. Hopefully it doesn’t kill the battery. Once we reached Auckland I learnt my bag was indeed under the bus. My next step in the journey was to head down to the ferry building so I could get the boat to Waiheke. As I was not worried, I walked from the Sky Tower all the way down Hobson Street to the ferry terminal. Along the way I passed other travellers who were going up the hill or seemed to be lost. I found the Auckland Tepid baths that I had seen on a list somewhere of places to visit or where soldiers in WW1 had gone. I had ended up right next to the maritime museum and still had to walk a little bit. The lady at the counter where I got my ticket told me the ferry was just boarding and if I was quick, I could get it since it was late. Waddling to the ferry line up, I managed to get onto the boat with heaps of time. It had taken at least 15 to 20 mins to walk there and I had not expected to get the 3pm service.

I sat on the back of the ferry and finally succumbed to the need to wear a jumper. I had read that you have little time after getting off the ferry to get a bus. I had asked a taxi to take me to where I was staying as I asked how busy it would be and they told me to get the bus and walk from the stop. I wasn’t really wanting to do that, but I would. The bus was at least 10 mins away when I got off the ferry, but I was happy for that and then there were the kids getting into trouble for annoying others on the first bus that had arrived. Once I got onto the bus and the others were loaded on, one kid got told off for pushing and told to get some manners. The kid was grumbling about getting told off and I just thought it was funny. Apparently its $3 to any location on the island. I kept my eyes peeled for the stop that I thought I needed and I was right. Thinking I might get lost, I turned my data on so I could follow the little dot. Whenever I had a look to make sure the dot had to run to keep up. I did turn the data off, but it was useful. I found the accommodation where I was staying and I was unsure as it looked a bit oldish, but all I am after is a bed and internet. Once I got hold of the owner he showed me to my room. There is only one shower and loo to service whoever was here. I was suggested that its easier to walk into town via the beach.

I was wanting to walk up several tracks, but realised I needed food more and that it would be dark soon. Dark isn’t good for me since I don’t have a decent torch. I wandered along the beach just down the road from where I am and the beach was actually part of a local trail. I went to the other side of the beach and onto the rod where I went another street up before finding food places. I don’t want to get caught out with nothing and I did see some of the shops along with a postal store so I will have that in mind. I found the museum is actually shut while I am here so I might look at a tour instead. At least I got a little bit of the lay of the land even if I was a little lost. The island is full of birdsongs and other animals like a rabbit I seen earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment