Thursday, November 24, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour: Day 18 Wandering Ferns and car museums






By the numbers
1 museum
7,261 steps
5.03kms

I spent an hour or so going through the Auckland transport service website as I wanted to make sure I had done my research before I went to the city next week. I wanted the bus time table to get me to the national archives. It is the little things that improve trips. I had no idea what I was going to do for the day, but Claude and I soon sorted out where we were going to go. The night before I had found a map on Whangarei that included a Fernery called Botanica, which is near the library. I did have an idea that I could visit the post office to post some books home. The other place we nutted out was to visit the Packard museum in Maungatapere.

Before we went towards the fernery, I was dropped at the post office where I found the required bag and filled the paperwork. When the weight was heavier as in just over 2 kilos, which means even more paperwork to post off and attach. I was happy to have two kilograms less in my bag after last time I nearly had trouble on the plane being over 20 kilos. Once we left the post office and my package that was going to make its way home, hopefully before I arrive. We headed to the Fernery otherwise known as Botanica where we wandered through the area where there were ferns of all different kinds including cacti that lived there too. I don’t know anything about the building or ferns, but this place had been around for a very long time, I think around the 1970s. It was free for people to visit and enjoy the plants and they included a newspaper within the building. I cant really say much about ferns as I am no plant expert, but I think other family members would love these.

The next place we were going to go was Maungatapere, which is a short distance from Whangarei to the Packard and pioneer museum. I had never visited the museum and according to the website they had updated some lighting in one of the sheds. That and the museum was open today so it was all going to be good. I had once visited the small display they had while it was in the Town Basin in Whangarei, but they bought the collection back together. Once we had something to eat, it was time to visit and we had a crowd follow us in. Turns out they take people on tours of the buildings and we were joining the group that had arrived with us, which never bothered me especially since they would remember half the older vehicles. The Packard museum is all about the history of the Packard car especially in New Zealand from the early cars to the later ones in the 1970s. They do have other vehicles and parts of peoples lives, but everything revolves around the Packard. I wasn’t expecting the museum to be big, but they had several sheds. One of the Packards they could get 13 sheep inside the car and that stunt gained them a tank of fuel when they placed a bet with the servo attendant. They had a model T Ford and several others in one room. I did ask how they lit the lights if not by candles and the response was they used Kerosene and I was allowed to toot the horn on one. It is interesting when cars were once designed to have a driver, maybe a doorman and the owner in the back seat. Vases that had real flowers were included so you got a real smell and not the scents we have today. That was incredible.

It took us nearly two hours to go through the museum as they had steam engines, where they had chains at the base that were their steering mechanism unlike what we have today. A train that is one of four left in the country, which is the Dubs 0-4-0 Steam Engine according to their website. I couldnt remember the name of the train off hand. They had early Indians, Triumphs and Harleys. I thought I would be bored going through all the mechanical wonders. They even said the Packard engine was used in Spitires as one lot of engines by several other companies were produced during the way. I heard a story about the Scoby cars being exchanged for NZ butter from Russia. I thought this was interesting and maybe unsettling, but I did look it up and the story actually is true from the 1980s. One of the tractors I was looking at had an arrow on the front, which was a guide for the driver who was so far back that he needed to know which direction his wheel was in. Did I say I enjoyed the museum?

I was impressed as they pointed out cars that were used in Movies like Grease or was apparently used as a hearse for president Ford as they didn’t have a Ford or some such thing. There was even a jeep that was once used by the Queen during a tour in New Zealand. So much to see and they had cleared quite a bit in one of the sheds that a week or so before one o the guides could not move in certain spots. Claude I think was happy to wander through the displays and we ended up with the vehicles that were basically the end of the line for the Packard as they had bought out the Studebaker company, but those cars looked pretty cool too. Before leaving we spoke to the tour guides who gave us feedback forms. I said I was impressed and that they had a great museum on their hands. I learnt that they do custom tours if someone asks like they had one person spend an hour just with the motorbikes at one stage who was a collector. If people ask questions then the tour could end up longer than the 2 hours, which can be a good thing as it shows interest. I wasn’t expecting the tour, but we got one and I was happy just to be looking around as well.

It was soon time that we had left and while I wasn’t wanting to go elsewhere once we got back home, I met up with an old Friend of Granny’s, Betty who had come for a coffee. We chatted about where we had been and later on I was taken to the shops where I wanted to walk back to the house to stretch my legs as I wanted a walk. I did stalk the shop assistants around the dairy section of the local supermarket. I was happy with my second last day in Whangarei and am looking at the weather that maybe coming across as a little wet. Hopefully that is not the case.

Links

Packard and Pioneer museum

Butter for car

Botanica

No comments:

Post a Comment