Saturday, November 26, 2016

Wandering boots that wander tour: Day 20 Wandering to Kaitaia







By the numbers
2 bus’
11058 steps
7.62kms

The morning started like any other as I made sure I had nearly everything packed before leaving for the bus. The weather was looking really nice and there did not seem to be any rain about so I would hopefully have a nice ride up the coast. The clothes that I had pulled off the line the day before were dry. I had my computer stuff to sort out and make sure I had all that I would need with me and gave me the opportunity to leave books behind that I no longer needed. Then came the goodbyes for another year as it was time to move on and have two happy grandparents who loved having my company even if it was for a short time.

I was dropped off at the Whangarei Hub in the Town Basin where the bus would arrive and I do wonder at times if these timetables are estimates only and the bus arrives around the time they are meant to. I was wondering if I could have trouble with the bus not waiting around in Kerikeri heading to Kaitaia. The bus turned up and at let us know that the other bus would wait for us.  I was happy to know that and there was the usual places that we passed that I had been to on this particular trip away. When we arrived in Paihia, we learnt that there would be a slight problem while in Kerikeri. We had to stop at the BP servo as the Christmas parade was on today. I never knew this would be on and it appeared on the day I would travel. Turn out what they do is drop us at the service station and the bus continues on to meet up with the other bus to transfer the bags so we didnt need to have them on us.  

I managed to have lunch at the servo while waiting for the bus that we were told would be 10 mins away. More like 20 mins later while listening to some tourists talking about walking the Te Araroa trail, although they were saying it had not really been fully established. I knew they were improving the track, but it had been around for some time. I was happy to listen in and not say anything at all. Once the mini bs turned up, I found out that we did not have internet on the bus. I was still happy to look out the window and catch a few things that were going past. Some of the places we went through were Kaeo, Mangonui, Coopers Beach, Taipa, Awanui and then Kaitaia. I did find another Mission station that had my interest even though I know nothing about it. I am sure one day I will end up at the Wesley Dale Mission Station. New Zealand seems to have quite a few of the spread out in the country. There are also many abandoned like places along the drive that are now part of the local farming buildings. I don’t know if this is something to do with the  far north in New Zealand. Two other places hold my interest and those are Kaeo for what looks to be a church and a place called The Mad Hatter Cafe. The other seems to be the seaside town of Mangonui with a few of the heritage walks listed on boards. This is how I know that I want to visit a town.

I got turned around when we arrived in Kaitaia as I was not really sure which street I should go down. I had to use the loo and found the info centre also has a museum and a cinema. Looking at a map and looking at the street were two different things and I was feeling a little lost to be honest. I shouldn’t have worried as I crossed the road and looked only to find the motel was right there in front of my eyes. The lady at the counter was very happy to see me and even offered me a jug of milk, when I told her I don’t drink it. At least she told me to turn the fridge on and I wanted to go for a walk before it got dark. The first thing I wanted to do was have a look at the museum until I couldn’t figure out where the entrance was. Turns out the museum was closed and I had actually missed the sliding door that gave the times it was open. Weekends meant it was closed, but it was not a loss at all as within the foyer of the information centre had a representation to the Gumdigging Dalmations. I was impressed as it wasn’t something I was looking for.

As you do when checking out new places I go wandering. I wanted to do the circuit so I knew where I am in town and to orientate myself so I knew where the basics were. It never occurred to me that things would be very far away. I was wondering where Maccas was located along with fast food places so that I could get a quick meal. I soon found there was actually not very much to see in Kaitaia itself. I think everyone used it to jump to the next place. Turns out the food places that were convenient were too far away and I wanted to get where I wanted on time. I didn’t know the town so much, but I wasn’t sure what would be open early. I had made the loop fining the Intercity bus location and also the war memorial that is supposedly the first one that is represented in Maori and English. The Bowling club was really pretty with its colours, but I knew before it got too late that I would need to sort food out. I found a small supermarket where I had breakfast sorted for the next two days. While I had sorted myself out and gotten a pork roast for dinner, but on the way back I became distracted by the bookshop where I found several on gum digging in the area. You wouldn’t think that I would leave that sort of book alone, would you? These are gold mines that I had been looking for. I had to return back to the motel to eat my meal and sort out the stuff for the fridge.

I honestly think anyone would go mad in the town if they had nothing to do and at least I know I have chosen the right place even though it is for sale. Tomorrow I get to visit a Gumdigger park and go on a tour to the cape, which will be nice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment