Monday, November 7, 2016

Day 1.Wandering boots that wander tour to Auckland





Day 1
By the numbers
Bag 11.8kg
Steps: 9915
Km: 6.83km
Entertainment value: High
1 packed lunch
1 dead fitbit battery - replaced

The day started with a sleepless night with broken sleep after the thoughts of what I am going to do with the battery replacement for my fitbit that died the night before. It went really well for a year surprisingly enough. It has been a year since I bought it and I have only really used it for my trips away so has been sitting idle on my desk until it decided to die. Once I was up for the day I had a dog to be walked and the little bits to be packed before leaving. A battery was found and wasn’t easy to get out of its pack, but now we know they are packaged well. Mum would soon be along to pick me up.

Once I was picked up I was happy to wait in a short bag drop line for Air Asia to Auckland. Yup I booked a trip that leaves in the morning so we shall see. I didn’t want to arrive in the early hours of the morning as I would get to the hostel very late. The security line was long and moving fast enough that it didn’t take long to get through although one silly lady had scissors in her bag and I left with my gear when she was being searched. She was not allowed to touch her bag at all and she was warned at checkin. I don’t think she understood the risks as to why as thats what it sounded when she made excuses. I grabbed a coffee to fill in my paper work and then went through to the international part of the Gold Coast airport where the scanner let me through without a customs person taking my card. I found it had to be dropped off in a customs card drop off box. While on the other side I had entertainment from Scoot air where some slow customers were taking their time and they were not happy at being told they were holding up a plane. I think they were Singaporians who were arguing with the ladies that they were slow moving even though they were told to hurry up. I feel sorry for the staff who were getting stressed and the people were not really giving a crap at all.

I soon found that we were boarding for Auckland, but with a confusing difference that proved I had not been listening. People from Kuala Lumpur were transiting onto the current flight so they were taking a 2 hour flight to Auckland after flying from their destination. One line was for transits and the others for the Gold Coast check in. Now that was confusing, but I soon found myself in the right lane anyway. The flight had been delayed a touch for some reason, but we were on our way soon enough. I had the aisle seat, which suited me and I was happy to read my book in what could be a bucket type seat. I had my lunch and a bottle of water so I kept myself occupied. The flight itself was not that bad and we landed in a timely manner. Through immigration was easy as usual just how I love the easy to use electronics by doing all the work yourself without the staff sorting it for you. There was a border control line up after collecting my bag as I think several others landed too, but wasn’t that long of a wait.

Once I was through I headed for the shuttle bus that I had not booked ahead of time like I usually do. I could have caught the airport bus, but that never goes to your door. The funny part was the afternoon traffic and the stories by the other passenger beside me. The American had lost his baggage somewhere between Philadelphia and Sydney, which included a stop in LA. Another couple went from Canada and several other stops. I was laughing though I would not like that to happen. The ride I was enjoying as I got to see places like Mt Eden village. It was already around 6pm and I was hoping that I could get some exploring done before it got dark as there was several places that I wanted to walk.

It didn’t take that long and the hostel was the first stop, so I was happy to be at the same place again. It was then I noticed the changes at reception. The desk was higher and there was no key to open the fire door. Turns out they upgraded and went away from keys that were sticky to keycards. A brilliant idea and the rooms got updated too like the TV room / lounge became more roomy and my room now has USB ports to charge devices. Once I left I was hoping for heaps of light as I made my way to Albert street down at the university. What was down that way had my attention as there was a wall that was once part of the Albert Barracks built around the late 1840s. Said to be the oldest surviving structure built by Europeans in New Zealand. I wandered around the wall and went off to Albert Park after taking pictures of the university clocktower. The afternoon or evening breeze was crisp until it started raining. I wanted to have a look at the historic Symonds Street Cemetery as they had completed some walks around certain parts along with sign posts, but the continuing rain sent me in search for food before I ran out of light. I a wanting to look again before heading to the bus stop in the morning where I will head to Hamilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment