Monday, March 9, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day One – To Christchurch


By the numbers

11 kilo bag

1 plane

The day at home started off really wet especially as we were being driven to the airport as it was hammering down and had to be dropped off at the covers or else I would have been extremely wet walking into the airport. I was bang on time for check in as well, but the machine directed me to the counter as they had ‘additional’ questions to ask about Corona. All I was asked once I made it to the front of the line was if I had travelled in the last 14 days. I could have been smart and said to work. There were no problems at all getting through immigration once it opened up, thats still strange to see it closed in the middle of the day, but that is the Gold Coast.

The plane seemed to be late in boarding and the seat numbers were skewiff as well. I was in row 26, but the seat on the other side of the aisle was 27. There were some people sitting in the wrong seats and one girl had chucked out her boarding pass. The Jetstar plane wasn’t that clean either as I did see some seed thing on the seat in front and a crushed cup in the magazine rack in front of me. I think the seats had seen better days and need replacing as well. The good news was the plane did have toilet paper and I have proof no one was hording it.  We actually had a little turbulence on the way not long from takeoff and had a tail wind that got us to Christchurch on time.

People from health were giving out cards letting people know about Corona and to call a number if you feel sick. I put the card with my passport as it will be safe in the pouch. The border security guy asked me what industry I worked in for a sales assistant and I replied retail. I was out of the Christchurch airport very fast and was good to just walk in and grab my bag as it was going through the motions when I walked up. I caught my shuttle bus to my accommodation in Addington as I am staying at the old prison there. Its now converted to rooms for the tourists and was nice when I got there and will look around a bit better in the light. I did not drop the soap in the shower. I made sure of that. It will be better to see everything in daylight


No comments:

Post a Comment