Wednesday, March 11, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 3 off to Arthurs Pass


By the numbers
1 train
11.5kms
15,975 steps

The day started early as I had to be at the train station from 7am for checkin and when I got up and moving the sky was still dark. It wasn’t too far to walk and I went in the other direction that my phone told me to go. It was around 2kms and I made it there with plenty of time. There was not a line up when I got there, but while waiting for the train to arrive there was a line of people checking in for the train. The muesli bar pack I had gotten the day before had turned out to be pretty handy as that was breakfast.

The train arrived and those of us with bags had to drop them at one end of the train, so everyone with bags was waiting for the porter to get the bags. It was funny as i was in carriage A and that was next to where the bags were stored, so I would hop off at Arthurs Pass and quickly grab my bag. I was worried at the time as once we had left the rain had set in again like the day before. I thought that would mean my next destination might be next. Turns out the train ride through the mountains meant the weather got better and there were less in the way of clouds, but there were other problems. There were signal problems along the way, so the train had to go slow in areas. I did meet an American guy who was travelling in his 30s. I think he was a little shocked that the train did not have internet. He didn’t actually know about the walks you could do around Arthurs Pass. I didn’t really know all the walks either, but I was happy to go with the flow.

I was in no hurry for the train to get into Arthurs Pass and there were some nice sights along the way like the town of Cass that had a population of 1. It was a research place for one of the universities and they didn’t stop there. The university does research into the tussock grass and I was surprised to learn that some of the area in the highlands could be classed as semi desert it was so dry. Once we got into the village, I collected my bag and was at the time unsure where to go as it didn’t look like we could walk straight to the road. There was actually a subway under the railway that takes you into the village. I was also happy that the village of Arthurs Pass had mobile phone service unlike most of the rail trip, which I thought was funny. All I was planning to do was to drop my bag off and come back to check in. I was able to leave my bags in the room and had paid already. The room was an apartment that included a lounge, a shared full kitchen outside the room, a sink with coffee and a toaster, and a double bed with bathroom. It did have mountain views.

Once I sorted my gear out, I went to the DOC info centre to get some guides and information about the local walks and one walk I wanted to do the next day. I was wanting to see if I could get to a viaduct lookout, which has no track, so I couldn’t as it wasn’t recommended to walk along the road, but was suggested I could hitchhike. Ummm, no. I was going to the Dobson memorial and part of the walk was meant to be hard, and the weather meant to be pretty good too. I wandered out of town to try one of the smaller trails that took me along the river. Then I headed for a longer walk that took me to a waterfall called the Devil’s Punchbowl. Lets say I am very unfit and learnt that lesson. I made it up there and came back. My leg was shaking like hell when I had to tie up my laces and I did feel better later on.

Once I made my way back, I went to check out the Avalanche track, which was a very steep track where people are recommended to take at least 3 litres of water to get to where they are going and it wasn’t sign posted either. There had apparently been rescues and avalanches recently, so it wasn’t that good. I wasn’t that experienced. It had been great to do all the shorter local walks before doing the longer ones the next day. I ended up back in my room for half an hour before going back out and getting some sandwiched for my walk tomorrow as I am unsure of what time I will be back and muesli bars will only go so far. The shops don’t open until 8am and I am wanting to be off around then before it gets too late in the day. I had a half hour rest before going to watch the train come through the tunnel. Due to the signal problems it was late. I was happy to see that and went to have pasta for dinner. There are only two shops selling food in Arthurs Pass. The cafe closes at 5 and there is a restaurant that closes at 8pm. There is not much in the way of choice for dinner and have to make your mind up pretty quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment