Thursday, March 12, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 4 Walking Arthurs Pass tracks



By the numbers
13.57 kms
19, 727 steps
I woke up early as my alarm had gone off at 6am as I had somehow forgotten to sort out my alarm to get up an hour later. I did that and when it went off, I wanted to get up and moving. I did look outside and wondered about the weather as the clouds were full of cloud and no blue sky to be seen. I ate breakfast, which was one of the sandwiches that I had bought the day before and had one in my bag in case I got hungry. It was then I realised I was missing a hat that I had and it was lost in the place I had dinner, so I would have to get it later on if its there.

I took off walking towards the part of the track that was the toughest part that I had no choice, but to walk, which takes us past a waterfall by the name of Bridal Veil Falls. I did see some Kea in town for the first time and they were on the roof of a house doing their thing. There were people in the carpark at the entrance to the walking trails. I left some of them behind me expecting them to catch up and was following a couple who kept stopping at what they thought was the waterfall we all were looking for. It was not until I came across several sets of steps that I knew I would be near the actual falls as they did say the walking would be tough on either side. I justr took my time and somehow lost the couple who were in front after the waterfall. I never seen them again. The fog became thicker and I could see my breath in the air and I could not see the mountains at all. I could see that the road was nearby and that the path I was on crossed close. I soon came to a road crossing at a hut by the name of Jack’s Hut and it had been named that by the previous owner and not by someone called Jack. I seen what looked to be a snake on the ground and soon realised it was actually a sack that was part of the building. It was also the type of hut used when building the roads in the area in the early 1900s.

Crossing the road was easy as there were no vehicles coming and you could literally hear them coming. Across the road I could take another track to the Bealey Valley, but I wanted to see the Dobson memorial and walk to the base, which was part of the Arthurs Pass walking track that would take me back to the village via the Bridal Veil. By this time the clouds were trying to part way asI found it was actually the Temple Basin  carpark. It was the beginning of the track with the same name that zig zagged up the hill. It was a pretty rough track as I went looking for a way to get to the memorial. There wasn’t a way apart from walking on the road. I didn’t want to end up at a hut near the top or walk all the way up that way as I didn’t have that level of fitness. I did walk to the Dobson memorial lookout. I didn’t attempt to find a track especially not with a corner. Dobson was a surveyor for the railway from what I have read. While I wasn’t taking any huge risks, I took another track towards what was called Lake Misery. The path was both rocky and had wooden boards so that I would not walk on the ground. The track ended up in the tussock grass and I ended up losing the track as I couldn’t see anything. The tussock was nearly taller than I was and I nearly had trouble finding my way back. I really did not want to find a pothole where I ended up waist deep in water or something else I couldn’t predict.

Heading back I took my time and ate my sandwich before I left the Dobson Memorial area and was enjoying the sunshine as the fog had burnt off. I did see some snow in the mountains, but not much. I was happy to amble along heading back to the village. The passage of time did not seem to be noticed at all even though I knew what the time was with my phone as a camera. There were times were there wasn’t any service, but seemed there was some sort of signal from around Jack’s hut to the Village. I wasn’t really sweaty either apart from out of breath walking up some steep stair that takes me to the waterfall. It didn’t seem to take a long time in returning either, but I was happy I had done so. Along the way I did have a closer look at some of the plants and flowers even though I do not know what they are. There were a few people passing me when I was returning to the village. Maybe I was just too keen getting up early and going for a wander. I did stop at the restaurant and the lady gave me my hat back without too much trouble, which I was happy to have. Silly me had taken it off and sat on it while eating.

It was around 1pm by the time I arrived back at the apartment and my plan was to have my cup of noodles and then have a try of the plunger coffee that was on the pantry. I still have no idea how that works, but I spent most of the afternoon reading before going for a walk to look at the train station a bit better. It was good to have a relaxing afternoon and I got to see a group of Kea chewing on the metal chimney on the roof of a house. I spent around 10 mins looking at the cheeky buggers and I think they were playing up for the people. That would be the end of my full day in Arthurs Pass and I will be next heading to Greymouth where I had only spent over night there last time I had gone this way. It was when I had first started travelling New Zealand and there are still plenty for me to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment