Monday, March 16, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 8 To Abel Tasman National Park



By the numbers
10.18 kms
14,650 steps
The day started off early and dark as I had to get the bus out to Kaiteriteri so I could catch the boat for a nice trip around the Abel Tasman National Park. I had been looking forward to this trip as I had never been to that area of New Zealand before and wanted to head there to get some sights in of a beautiful part of the country and I had hoped that the weather would hold up for me too. The weather seemed like it would be fine and there was little cloud cover from what I could tell. The bus came and people all hopped on. There were people going further on by bus than Kaiteriteri. It took around an hour for us to get to the little village or outpost if you could call it that. I made sure I checked into the vessel info desk and they gave me tickets with my stops on them as I was jumping off the boat at certain places and doing a walk. The best part of the walk was that it wasn’t a guided walk, but at your own pace. The trip begins in Kaiteriteri, goes all the way up to Totaranui and returns all with drop offs and pick up. It might be a small area we would be touring, but its somewhere that I had not been to before.

I could walk through a little stream without worrying about getting my feet wet or trying to put my shoes on wet sandy feet. Along the way we got to see some of the settlements where you could stay for more activities including kayaking around the islands. We were dropping people off and some that were doing walking trips had their names read off and I wondered about trying to get off early, but when I collected my lunch, I was told they would do that on the return journey. We did see seals that included the pups being fed. The drop off would be at the Tonga Quarry where they quarried the stone like for parts of the Nelson Cathedral. The pickup would be at Medlands Bat, where we would have around 3 hours of walking time. I hoped it would be enough time. Once it was my turn to walk off, I found the estimate was around an hour and half. For some reason I was expecting a flat walking trail, but the walk was steep in places and not the best for sandals. I went at my own pace and there were people everywhere, but I seemed to pass them. People towards the other end were coming up, where I was happy that I was going down the hill. I had huffed and puffed eating an apple up a hill, but left the rest of my food til I got to the other end. Along the way near the camps there was phone reception, but anywhere else there was nothing at all.

Along the way to the Bark Camp, which was near Medlands Bay there was a info panel about Wilding pines as they are contamination from pines outside the National Park as they self sow. I went to check out a structure then, I seen a man raking, which would be so no new pines grow and gives native plants a chance to grow. The pines only live for so long and would cause fires if there were bushfires. I did cross a swing bridge that was raved about online and I wondered if I had come across the right bridge as it didn’t seem that spectacular. Another one was around an hour away, but I was going to risk missing the boat. I wandered down to the beach where I realised there was plenty of time before I needed to catch the boat. I plonked my butt on a branch and started eating my lunch while being visited by a seagull and immediately after a Weka that came running to see what I had. It tried walking behind me and I was well aware of the cheeky little bugger. The bird tried to pull the paper sack out of my hands, but it knew it had lost that tug a war. I couldn’t willingly littler in a place that had no bins. The Weka was a nice bird, but I called it a thing of evil.

It was nice to sit and relax watching the nice blue water as the boat eventually came to pick us up. It would return us to Kaiteriteri, where the tide was now in quite a bit as we were alot closer to shore than the vast amount of sand we had earlier. It was pretty cool and I went to get on the wrong bus too thinking I had the correct one. Luckily the driver corrected me as I wanted to get going. The bus did turn up and we were off back to Nelson, which was around another hour trip. It wasn’t that bad as we dropped off passengers along the way and I had thought about going for a walk, but I was actually pretty tired out from the days events even if I didn’t seem to have done much. I have one more day in Nelson before heading to Wellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment