Sunday, March 15, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 7 Greymouth to Nelson


By the numbers
7.41 kms
9,980 steps

The morning started with me sleeping in and then going to a local cafe to find some food and a coffee. Anything was better than Maccas if you know about it. I had seen the cafe that was near to where I was sleeping and I wanted to go there as there was plenty of room. I should point out the place I stayed in on top of the put was very quiet and never heard a thing at night, which was pretty good. I had found my light jumper had broken a zipper and I didn’t want to wear my heavy duty one unless it became really cold. I went to the Warehouse and found another similar one that was light and it wasn’t too much either. I am not in the business of busting the bank on clothes. I hung around my room until I could checkout at 11am and headed back to the cafe to have a coffee and a read. That didn’t kill much time and I walked to the other side of the railway station and found there was another heritage park all about a bridge. It was the old railway bridge. Greymouth seemed to make a park out of everything.

I ended up at the info centre and got some stuff before the crowds came in on the train while waiting to see if the bus would show up. The train came and went and the bus turned up pretty much on time, although I thought it would be there much earlier. There was no problems as we left and the road was really windy in places and that could make your hair stand on end. Once we made it to our first stop, I ended up taking a quick trip out to Pancake rocks and the blowhole, but couldn’t stay very long at all as I had to be back on the bus. There were plenty of people around doing exactly the same thing. I had just made it for one blow hole spout, but it never happened again while I was there and I had to take off to the bus again. I didn’t get lunch at the stop, but I had some bars left over that I probably should resupply on. The bus trip was a long one, but I sat there ready to take photos of whatever took my fancy. The bus did not have Wifi and we were dropping in and out of service. I got a random message asking if I was coming home today and I couldn’t access that for near an hour as I wondered what the hell was going on and I was getting pissed at whoever had sent it. Came across as I have to get back to Australia immediately. I think people freak out too much and it was only in regards to the self isolation, but the person kinda sounded like NZ had shut down everything. Things will change by the end of the month and I might not need to do anything at all by then. It did make me have a look at the news when I could and nothing that bad was happening. Still all good and I wasn’t prepared to cancel any of my trip away.

By the time we reached Nelson it was nearly dark and there was no problem at all finding the hostel. I was able to get checked in and some food before returning to sort myself out for the next day as I am doing a trip on the Able Tasman tours. Includes a walk as well, so I might have to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment