Friday, March 13, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 5 Arthurs Pass to Greymouth


By the numbers
1 train
8.72kms
11,505 steps

The day started with me having a nice sleep in, which was the time that the cafe in towned opened up and the best thing was that is was right across the road, so “I had a decent meal to start my day. I did notice amongst my clothes that I had no extra underwear, but I did in shorts, shirts and socks. That could be a problem, but nothing huge. Washing was something that needed to be done eventually. I watched a little bit of TV wehile putting my stuff away and packing the last of my gear.

I took a walk to the train station and did notice a few bus’ sitting in the carpark, but there were no prople around and I did wonder why. There was a good explanation though. The train actually turned up early, or on time, but the info I had said 20 mins early I was meant to be there. I got my boarding ticket and the girl took my bag. People had hopped off, but never came back. Turns out people will either spend the day at Artrhurs Pass, or catch a bus to Franzx Josef glacier as it would mean they get there in daylight and see everything. We couldn’t move around the cabin, or visit the food car while we were going through the Otira tunnel. I wasn’t worried about that and once we could visit the observation car, I was out there watching the world go by and taking pictures of everything that looked interesting.

We actually pulled into Greymouth 10 mins early, which was ahead of time and better than two days before with the signal problems. I was happy to be at the last stop and my bag was the first one off the train. Seems people went back on the same train that afternoon as they did in the morning. I went to find my accommodation and was told I could return at 2pm, which was an hour later. I left my bags behind and took a walk to the info centre where I told them I wanted a tour and they got me on one that takes me to an old mine accident site, called the Brunner Mine and to Shanty town, which is a historical town type place. Turns out I was the only person on the tour and if someone turns up I will be refunded the difference of what I paid as I got it on a single rate and not as a group. It doesn’t bother me as it cut down on 2 hours walking one way to the mine and I don’t know when I would be near Greymouth again.  The breakwall I walked part of, which is to stop the town from flooding via the river and, also a cycle trail that starts in Greymouth and travels south. You would get to see plenty, but I was happy. Nearby there was a monument to all those who lost their lives in the area to mining accidents, which included the Pike River mine disaster in 2010. I did however get to see something I had not seen in person before even though there was quite a bit of glare on the windows and that was a printing press working for the local newspaper, which was interesting to watch. Someone else nearby commented they hadn’t seen one before and they were older than I was.

Before heading back to the pub that I am staying at for two nights. I was staying somewhere on the premises and not knowing where abouts, I stopped off at The Warehouse as I was after batteries as my keyboard and mouse had died the night before. I ended up buying an underwear pack for extras. I wasn’t going to wear the unclean ones again and I also knew where there was a nearby laundry, so I had no problem there. I headed back to the hotel place and I was taken next door where I had thought it was a restaurant that had not opened. Up some stairs and I was at my room. It was small, but it would do for the next couple of nights. I relaxed for a little bit as I had a brewery tour later that evening.

Taking a walk, I knew the brewery was an easy walk, but the public laundry was along the way. It was apparently 24 hour, but the door said closes at 11pm. All I needed was a card that could be used at other landromattes of the same type New Zealand wide. It was a good idea and for $4 a load and then $4 for drying it would be good. I don’t have detergent, but will look into that tomorrow. I can leave it with my grandparents as they would love it too. I headed to Montieths, which was a West Coast brewery that had opened up in 1868. It had been sold several times and was owned by Heineken. I hasd gotten there just under an hour and half before time for the tour. I ordered a drink and had fish and chips. The drink was coke and wasn’t alcohol. I read my book while waiting and then did the tour. I cannot quite remember the last time I did the tour, but they did say they were upgraded around 2011, so it would have been at the old factory even though it was on the same site. We did have a drink of two beer and that I left as my limit even though it might have been nice to have another one, but I had to walk back to where I was staying without staggering. Along the way I visited the laundry again and got a card with credit on it out of the machine, so we shall see what happens next. I will sort that stuff out after my tour in the morning. At least I was able to get back to my room before it got dark, which was the only thing I was worried about.

No comments:

Post a Comment