Monday, March 23, 2020

New Zealand 20/20 trip: Day 14 Escape from New Zealand




By the numbers
2 planes, one cancelled
Walking not very far

I had woken up at 5am, when my alarm had been set for 530am. Deciding the best choice was to check on my flight since I was really early and right outside the terminal. With what was happening, I never knew what was going to happen with the bus service to the airport. Considering I am close to aircraft, I never heard anything at all and was a quietish night. I might stay there again if I have an international flight in the early morning as it is very convenient. I went looking for my flight and gave an audible ‘fuck’ when I seen that my flight had been cancelled. The next flight that was leaving for the Gold Coast was half hour earlier with Air New Zealand. I walked to the ticket counter where people were lined up and took my phone out to search for flights. I was going to get them to sort it out for me, but I was half way through the booking system before the line moved and all I needed to do was pay for the booking. I had my card out and paid for the booking. Within minutes of the booking being processed, I had the flight details, although I had screen shotted the booking reference after losing it last time when distracted on the ferry from Picton. I raced back to the hotel and picked up my bags before going back downstairs to check myself in. At least I didn’t eat anything in the bar or else it would have been costly.

It was relatively easy process for Air New Zealand as I had the self service kiosk to deal with and there were plenty available. The machine even recognised my bag had straps and to put into a basket before it would send it on its way into the depth of the airport where fire breathing dragons live. I was meeting a family member who thought they were not allowed to enter the airport, but I corrected that by telling them that we can as they would have stopped me without my bags. I got to meet Glen as he waited for his son to come through from the US. I waited a little bit before I left as there were quite a bit of unknowns as to what was happening between the outside and the gate. There could be delays for all I knew. The first place to go was to see the lady at the Virgin desk as I hadn’t gotten an email about the cancelled flight apart from the planes being grounded from the 30th of March. The lady was nice and I told her that I hope people had not been abusing her. I let her know that I would like my flights to be credited and that I had arranged another flight with a rival. She was happy that I had done that actually.

The procedure through security had not changed at all. I had a very smooth transition through the gates. The smart gate wasn’t working, so had to get my passport checked by a human. The lady told me I will be back and when I tried passing behind her there was a barrier that stopped me. One of the immigration guys had to move it so I could get past. I didn’t want to be in trouble for touching something like that. I went through to wait and ended up with some chocolate and even a book that looked interesting. I had breakfast of Maccas in the airport as I knew I would not get a meal unless I had paid for it. I could have, but had paid for a seat and bag combo while looking at the price of the flight. I had let family know of the changes or else they would have wondered why I had arrived early, or seen that my flight had been canned and be in a stressful moment about my welfare. It wasn’t a too bad of a wait until we were on the plane and it was mostly empty. Could be why I got booked so quickly and at the front seats too. It felt like a long flight although could be because of the book, I was reading was about farming history.

It was good to actually land in Australia again, but even on landing there was no escaping the Corona stuff as people were getting ready to get off the plane, some ladies from immigration hopped aboard with paperwork that we had to fill out before leaving the aircraft. It was like school and homework. We were allowed to leave once we filled it out. My bladder was screaming to be emptied after that little bit of work. I bypassed the Duty Free and headed to the line for the smart gates. I did cough once and one guy panicked in front of me and moved away as he looked at me. Once we were waiting for out bags you could see the customs people with their full gear on. Masks and some even had the poncho type gear to cover themselves and the lines were slow moving as they were talking to every individual in line. The guy got to me and spoke to me and I asked questions. I even picked up his dropped pen for him, I just couldn’t really describe him as I wasn’t paying that much attention. A lady I might have, but working retail I forget people as soon as they look at me. He took my form and I was off until it was soon found no one had signed by customs card as there was only a tick. I had to wait and one of the ladies had to grab a supervisor who made me fill out the form again. They would pull out the other one later so there would not be a double up in visits. They impressed on me what will happen, but who knows if there would be health officials or even coppers. Hopefully not something like 3am. Any complaint about people out of quarantine ahead of time will be taken seriously and I am not to leave the house. I can see people with grudges like neighbours making a series of complaints. Though the authorities would know. On parting they asked if I had a mask as I was being driven home and I replied that I do not. They were very nice to provide me with one before leaving the terminal. I was polite to them and I think they would move mountains for anyone who are polite and not shitty. At least I know I will be allowed to leave at 1159pm on the 5th of April that means I can then go back to work. Think there might be panic attacks from people who see me out and about though.

I did have the mask on when I got picked up and am in 14 days of isolation, which should be interesting. I still have that mask as I have no idea if I should be keeping it just in case. Every trip is different and this one has shown when under pressure, I do seem to perform and out do myself. There will be more trips and other things I can do, but for now I can research more journeys into the unknown, but at least I have done the right thing in returning to the country as New Zealand starts locking everything down. I left at the right time instead of waiting for the flight on the 29th, which would have likely been cancelled. I am happy to have credit that I can use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment