Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Queensland Road trip November 2020

 

Recently I bought a new motorcycle, well a new Spyder that is the touring version of my older bike. That means I have extra storage spaces for long rides. Also I was planning on doing some longer rides sometime soon. Two that I was looking at was the Great Ocean Road and the dinosaur trail out to Winton. Due to it being 2020 the Great Ocean Road is out of bounds being in Northern NSW and the ride out towards Winton might be accessible, but being close to summer it becomes a little too hot going inland, also because summer. I wasn’t actually going to take another lot of holidays before Christmas, but working in retail, it might be a good idea, and besides 2020 means it has strange ideas of creeping up on you. No overseas trip for me after my last one to New Zealand in March

 

I have only really planned two days out of the five days that I would like to be away and I am not going alone. My dad is coming along as well on his own bike, that is my old green machine. The idea is to iron out the kinks of long rides so we know what to do when going on other longer journeys. The destination is the town of 1770, or Seventeen Seventy. I have never been there and is reported to be one of the landing sites of James Cook. We are not riding the entire way as we are stopping in Tin Can Bay part way up.

 

There are places that we might stop off along the way especially the Bundaberg Rum factory, dolphin feeding at Tin Can Bay, but we may even have to come back as that place is also where you end up for a tour of Fraser Island. Then there is Gladstone that we both are thinking of taking a ride to. I have booked accommodation already for the first two places, but the rest we are playing by ear. Being in your own vehicle means that you can go to any weird location you want to.

 

Although the journey doesn’t make up my entire time off work, I have plans for small day trips like to Cleveland for a lighthouse and even to Mt Tamborine. The new Spyder RT Limited will show me exactly what it would be like to take long trips on the road in my own country. Something a little different and hopefully I will stop and take pictures along the way, which I should do. It will prove to my dad and I exactly how our bikes both handle on the longer journeys and how we can handle these sorts of journeys. Not only will the boots be wandering, we will be rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment