Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Spyder Road trip Day 1: Tweed to Tin Can Bay


By the numbers

356 kms give or take

2 Spyders

300kms on a tank of fuel

No Tin Cans found in Tin Can Bay

 

I was going to meet up with my dad in Nerang before we waited for the traffic north towards Brisbane was going to die down as I left around the time when the morning rush to work would have began. I actually made it through the border crossing between Tweed and Coolangatta with no problem at all. The blockade is so much fun having to get a pass just to cross over into another state. The ride to Nerang wasn’t too bad and I was watching the weather as it was a little bit cloudy. I had a full tank of fuel on my new Spyder RT Limited that I had bought in October, and I was wanting to take it for a decent run to get the feel for the bike.

 

We headed to Brisbane, where we went over the Gateway Bridge, which had some pretty good views of the city of Brisbane. I did have a video on my new Gopro that I took as we went over the bridge, so I don’t know how well it came out. Something that I have to work on. On the other side of the bridge, we headed to the airport, where we were going to visit the Kingsford Smith museum outside the International terminal. We found the service station easily, but soon found it wasn’t actually easy getting to the museum. It was all about Charles Kingsford Smith and his flight to Australia, with either a replica of his plane or the real deal on display. First time we ended up getting off a random off ramp as I didn’t want to head through a toll road. I followed Nigel the next time round, where we ended up riding through the international terminal pickup and drop off area to the hopeful amusement to the police watching us. We decided it was best to continue our journey and try again on our way back. Its just annoying when you are on the wrong side of the road.

 

Heading north again it looked like we might get some rain and I was playing follow the leader. I was happy to hang back and see what was happening in front. We had one stop at the service station in Caboolture on the highway for some food and drink. Further down the road we found there were roadworks most of the way up along the Sunshine Coast, which is pretty good, I am guessing and hope they do work properly once finished. We ended up outside of Gympie before filling up and at that stage I had done 300 kms before filling up with fuel. I still had a little more to go before I really needed fuel, but I was actually impressed. We did stop at the Gympie Gold Museum to stretch our legs before heading to Tin Can Bay. We didn’t go inside the museum as we wanted to stop at our destination.

 

The road to Tin Can Bay was a little ways to go before we ended up in the small town. The road was  little fast and we did have a Greyhound bus on our butts before pulling over to let it pass as it was heading to Rainbow Beach, which is where you go for the ferry to Fraser Island.. At least 3km from town it started raining and we pulled over to get the wet weather gear on until I looked up how far it was. We decided to head to the park and it was pretty easy to find. We did get into our cabin pretty easily. Instead of taking our bikes in search of food, we walked into Tin Can Bay and realised it wasn’t very big at all. It was a touch windy with the threat of rain, so we got our food and headed back after a little bit of exploring if you could call it that. We did make plans for the next couple of days as we are heading to our next booked destination of 1770 and leaving the rest of the time up this way open as to where we would stay maybe around Yepoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment