Saturday, November 21, 2020

Spyder Road trip Day 4: Bundaberg to Gympie

 


By the numbers

200.8 kms travel

2 hour and 52 mins

10.66 km walking

14,597 steps

 

The day looked really nice by the time we tried to leave. Before leaving we had breakfast at the place across the road and found the eftpos machines were down. Luckily I had some cash money on me and was able to buy the food that would set up us as breakfast for the morning. Nigel needed fuel before leaving and I waited for him to do that little bit as we were leaving early enough that we would not have too much traffic on the road. On the way to Childers we stopped at the Bundaberg cemetery for a little look and were then on our way knowing the day was only just warming up. The road became busier when we entered Childers for a drink at Maccas and a little look around. I was going to get fuel in town as I had ridden further enough that I needed some or else I would never make Gympie.

 

Just outside of Childers I had a little lizard type goanna thing cross in front of me. It did make the other side of the road. The day had really heated up and I was happy to make my way. One stop I was wanting to make was the cemetery in Tiaro. Once I spotted that I pulled over as it was also a rest spot that didn’t have a toilet. I had a look around the cemetery. They had its first burial in 1876 and had been around since then. It was small, but I was happy to have seen it. We were going to have a look around town, but decided that we were going to keep going after a brief pit stop especially looking at the traffic on the main road. Part way to Gympie I had a truck with a wide load behind me and I was about to overtake the caravan in front and in my mirror, I seen truck and just let him past as he just wanted to go. I wasn’t going to stop him and I was able to pass the caravan before the lane ended. I ended up following the truck all the way into Gympie. I have never driven this road before the trip away, so it was interesting.

 

Once in Gympie we stopped for lunch as we had a little bit of time to kill before heading to the motel where we will be staying. We did stay in some shade in the local park, which I thought waws great and then we were off. We did check in and went to the room that was right on the edge of the highway and found it was only one bed, not two. Luckily we were able to sort that out and get the room with two separate beds. Turns out to avoid embarrassment, the lady didn’t ask. That was a first for me and at least it was able to be sorted out. I ended up going for a walk to the nearby cemetery and then into town, which was slightly further as we are not anywhere near the CBD. I found the local Drakes supermarket, where I got a meal for that night. For a Saturday afternoon the town itself was actually really quiet with not very much happening other than a few drunks around.

 

The morning we are planning on leaving early as we want to beat the traffic once we get into Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Clothes are becoming a little on the nose especially as I have been wearing the same trousers on the bike since the beginning. Everything is starting to get on the nose a little bit so that would be a little entertaining when I do arrive home. Just not up or down wind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment