Tuesday, February 25, 2020

New Zealand 2020

One photo from 2008



This year I am making a trip to New Zealand towards the end of summer hoping the weather will be nice in March. The direction, I am traveling means I will be revisiting some locations that I have not been to since 2008. Those photos are very few as I did not actually have my own camera back then, I was borrowing a family camera back then. This 2020 trip, I booked in November and used the money that I had left from the British Pounds from the 2019 trip around Europe.

In 2008, I ended up in Invercargil to see Burt Munro’s bikes, Franz Josef glacier and I went to Greymouth on the Tranzalpine train that operates to Christchurch. This 2020 trip means, I will be hopping back on that train for a scenic journey on the train with a stop at Arthur’s Pass and heading to Greymouth. Arthurs Pass is a location, I have wanted to visit since that first trip in 2008 and all I really know is that its a point where you can stop to go on the many hiking trails. I will then head to Nelson and onwards from there to Wellington. I will end up in Whangarei, which is the usual stop. The route between Greymouth and Nelson is something I have not done before and should be interesting.

I will be gone for 3 weeks and hopefully the weather will be kind especially when I have several tours lined up including one Brewery tour in Greymouth, I will get to see a small fraction of the Able Tasman National park via Nelson. I will also be doing some family history research while I am over there. I do start in Christchurch and have the plan to see the Airforce museum and the journey will end in Auckland. While I have already been to many locations in New Zealand over the years, there are still plenty that I have not been to before. New Zealand will always have something to offer.

There have been many changes since 2008 especially to technology. I can now use my phone for pictures and internet instead of a computer. I didn’t have a computer back then for blogs. Looking at my past emails, I have found the travel plans for 2008, which is really different to 2020. Although essentially the same. It was back then that I started doing Lord of the Rings tours. The places I stayed were different back then too as some of the booking systems have really changed. The bus service did not have internet back then either as it does now.

No comments:

Post a Comment