Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 9: From Wanganui to Wellington.


Day 9: From Wanganui to Wellington.

Today was actually an early start where I was going to head to Wellington by bus. The morning was cold and I was contemplating wearing my gloves. Not that cold, but I had to walk briskly for the bus and i was on time as always. What I didn’t know until after I had left and ended up at the bus stop was that I had left something semi important behind. This thing happened to be my soap and soap container, not that important, but important to others who would be near me throughout my entire trip around New Zealand. Something told me that I had forgotten something and sure enough I actually had. I bought that before I went to the archives, I don’t think security at the beehive would like that in my bag either.

The bus trip was uneventful other than going through towns that I wanted to visit like Bulls and Fielding. Fielding was actually one of the places where I have family buried in their cemetery and not far from Palmerston North where more family are buried and made their names in the town after coming from England. I read my book and listened to my podcasts while I was reading. I listened to some Maori land claims where the farmers leases had ran out and they had driven their tractors to the steps of parliament in protest and that some politicians in NZ during the early days had different ideas to how the country was to be run. The podcast through Te papa about autism was interesting and the bloke did say that when people are talking about it, ask about why boys have it more than girls and the answer will usually be no idea. I thought the RN radio about the books that were banned in Australia was interesting too as I would like to read that book as the program recommended it.

 Wellington was windy and cold like its name sake, Windy Wellington. I checked in and had lunch before making my way to the National archives. I had to remember where the building was at first and once I remembered as I was walking the right way, it was pretty easy. I knew there was a subway shop   across the road as it has been there for the last few times I have been to the city. What I found was the archives had, had some renovations in the last few years since I was there. They had extended the building on the inside and now I had heaps of room. The little blue card that I got from every archive centre is now centralised with the one card for everything. Type in the record you want and then you order the record with your card number. After looking at several records I actually had a headache. I hadn’t had a coffee yet that day and when I ordered more records I took myself to the foyer where I had a quick coffee. It eased the headache, but I have not had much to drink that day. I was listening to one of the archivists talk and I could have sworn he was one of the lecturers at UNE. He wasn’t, but he sure did sound like Andrew and I might have to ask him when I see the bloke next time. One of the areas I was wanting to look at I didn’t get to as The archivist was busy with others was to see the coroners register book. I am going to do a little research for a friend too as I am there.

I did get some copies of some records that are going to be emailed to me at my yahoo account as PDF. This is a new feature of the archives that I did not know about. I was lucky to pay for and get the things sorted as the cashier was finishing up. I had 10 mins left before the whole place shut up shop. I was then off again going to the Government buildings, especially one called The Beehive. Wellingtons parliament building. I knew the last tour had gone at 4pm and I looked inside to see a line up and people in line getting security checked. I decided today was not the day and wandered up the hill, behind the buildings. I had never been there before and I found something of interest, another cemetery that was ripped up to make way for the main road. It is called the Bolton Street Memorial Park. I found a convenient brochure with a map that points out the important parts and explains what they are. It explains the cemetery was an early one and also how the road separates the two parts. It was interesting and I loved how I seem to find these cemeteries in the strangest of places by just walking around. The website should be around so have a look at that. I did have to cross a busy road to enter the park.

After I exited where Richard  Sedden an ex prime minister or what not was, I wandered towards the botanic gardens. I didn’t know this was there either and had a quick walk around before leaving. By this time it was getting dark and I didn’t know this area. I wandered down the hill and found the Chile House. The country one not the other, but I could have done something maybe. They are open from 9am to 1pm and I don’t think they would like jokes. Antrim House was something else I had found on my wander back towards Lambton Quay. This was one way I was getting back to the hostel. I got back before dark and I was nice and happy. The guy I am sharing with is pretty cluey and told me about some of the nature trails and seems to be a local. Living in Picton and travels around. Not bad although he knows a little about Aussie history and some about NZ too. Tomorrow I am going on another LOTR trip bright and early.

Tip
Sometimes triple checking your stuff doesn’t mean you will have everything. The most obvious would be soap or toothbrush or clothes. You know who you are with forgetting to pack clothes. Dont know about missing showers though.

No comments:

Post a Comment