Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 6 bus trip to Wanganui


Day 6 To Wanganui
After doing some research into the Settlers museum in Dundin as I was looking for a notable Scottish highlander. The museum is actually being rebuilt and will be reopened in December. Not what I was expecting, but at least I know now and will actually look into jumping into the cemetery near the botanic gardens. I also found some long historic walks though the town. I think I will do that. This doesn’t stop my travels at all as there is always something to do. I did get back to my room and found a whole different group who were in the room. It seems they were travelling the area and were trekking around to some of the places like some of the local walking trails. Not bad really.

The trip to Wanganui by bus was not too bad at all and was a nice trip and it even rained half way through. This was on the desert highway after we had passed Mt Rhuapau. The mountain was covered in cloud and had snow as well. I did spy the army museum too as we went past. I think there are many places that I will eventually end up on other trips. I did get headbutted by a goat at one of the stops, but he hit my hand and I did hear a crack in my fingers, but I was alright.
Getting to Wanganui was interesting. It was a nice walk to the hostel from the bus stop and took around 20 mins. I could see the Dury hill monument and even passed the William Hogg Watt monument in Victoria street / Ridgeway street. This was something I was going to look for later, but found it by accident and will be noted as something to take a pic of later. The hostel is across the road from the river and in the morning going to be picked up out front and go on the mail tour visiting the small towns including Pipriki where the jetboats leave for the bridge to nowhere. The bridge was originall a soldier settlement after the first world war, but failed due to the high cost of bringing the goods back to the towns as there are no roads.

After finding the hostel and given a partial tour by the lady who said the owner would be back soon. I thought it would be a good idea to charge my computer, Phone and the battery for my camera before going anywhere. I was waiting for the bloke to come back and then decided I wanted to go out before it became too late. The first place I headed was up river and I found some strange artwork. One lot was actually pencils and I am going to have to ask someone to take my pic with them. I wasn’t sure if I should return to the hostel and wait, but the one thing took my mind away. I was looking at Drury Hill Monument that was dedicated to WW1. I walked to the city bridge where I found an info centre where I found was shut and no information where the tunnel was. I crossed the bridge and found the signage to the stairs and the elevator. I looked at the stairs up and then the elevator was the best idea. No way in hell was I going to do that. The tunnel was a long one and looking at the time, I realised I had at least 15 mins before they closed and I would have to use the dreaded stairs from hell. It cost me $2, but i was surprised there was actually a person with me. The elevator shook and shuddered all the way up. The view of Wanganui was spectacular and cold too. The monument itself could be climbed around a 100 or so steps and I thought no I have other things to do.

The walk down the stairs told me I would not have had the stamina to make my way up as they were steep. I liked the elevator as it was two different ways up the hill. The second stop was to head to the cemetery to find the one family I was looking for. It was a 20 min walk and I had two parts of the cemetery to choose from. I chose the part that did not have a fence. I was looking for William Hogg Watt and had no idea where he was located. I skimmed the fenceless cemetery with the headstones. There was not anyone I wanted there. It was not wha you call easy and I did not know what denomination they were from, although I do remember that the Wanganui council had the lords prayer as part of their opening, so could be Catholic? I was wondering how to get to the other cemetery and vowed to jump the fence if I did not find a gate. I found the gate and went to the hill as I thought the top dogs in the city would be there. He was not, but some others were. This meant I might have to skim a whole cemetery in at least an hour or so before dark. It took only 10 mins, but I found the grave and I think the headstone had been replaced. I was happy to find it and took my pics and had the thought to see who had made the headstone. I couldnt see that far back, but at least the inscription told me where he and his wife were originally from.

The walk back to the hostel was long and I was a little lost until I realised I was one street way from where I was meant to be. The William Hogg Watt Monument was something I was after next. I took pick of it and walked all the way around it to take pics of the inscription although I did not want to get hit by cars as it was in the middle of an intersection. My problem is if I see something that catches my eye I will wander off and have a look at what it is. I found the museum and I don’t know what the thing on top of the hill was other than the stairs caught my attention. Once back at the hostel the owner once told of my find gave me some more information. He told me to see a lady at the council office who would take me on a tour and show me the stained glass window explaining the history of the area. I am interested and will go and look. I did go get dinner, which was fish and chips and two pork buns. I did have my hobbit beer finally. I was nice and needed.

Books
I had finished reading Dune and now onto reading 1788 about the first fleet and the troubles they had. I find it interesting that Joseph Banks may have tattoos.

Tip
Know where you are wanting to go in cemetery as you might save time in your search. A whole cemetery would burn your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment