Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 4 Another day in Rotora, New Zealand


Day 4 Still in Rotorua

This morning I did sleep in a little bit around 8am as I did not have anywhere to be until around 11am where I was going to take an aqua duck tour from the information centre. The guy in my room found he couldn’t stay in the same room as he had to move since he paid for another night as the room was fully booked. We both discussed how the hostel has been really quiet and near void of people. I told him that I had found a decent bakery where they sell pies. He was surprised that it is kind of an Aussie thing to eat a meat pie, could be a kiwi thing too. Still the pie was my breaky and I was happy.
On my way to the aqua duck, I stopped off at the library cafe to have a coffee to go. The lady behind the counter asked me if I liked visiting Hobbiton as I was wearing the shirt and I told her what it was all about and that the Hobbit movie was coming out soon. She actually never heard of The Hobbit novel and asked if this book had came after Lord of the Rings. I said no it is actually a prequel, plus she didn’t have a clue what the Green Dragon was all about. It never bothered me as I mostly knew what the story was all about and was happy to explain, but being a cafe next to the town library might mean you would have to have some knowledge about books, right? The coffee was excellent so I am not complaining very much at all.

The Aqua duck was at the info centre and at the time I found there was not enough people to run the tour as there was three of us. We were going to reschedule to that afternoon, which was longer. Then two more turned up and the tour for 11am was back on. By the time we left another two people had turned up. They found I was Australian and didn’t let the fact I was born in NZ be held against me at all. The tour took us through the lakes especially around Sulphur Bay and Blue lakes. The driver did tell us that there was a lake hat had been cursed and anyone who swam in there without permission actually met death. It was pretty fun driving on the water of the local lakes especially when you find out how much some of the luxuary houses were for rent. One was around $10,000 a week I think it was and comes with butler, chef etc. He did tell the story about the pink and white terraces being destroyed and how long it had taken for the land to regenerate after the explosion from the mountain. Lakes had rose or even dropped and he did say the lakes were actually craters of volcanos. I am not going argue especially one is supposed to erupt within the next 30 years.

The afternoon I thought I would relax over one book and that was to finish reading Dune. I still have not finished yet, but I think a relaxing afternoon before going to dinner and seeing the theatre show called ‘Understanding Women’. I took my ipod with me as I knew I would have time to wait before the start as tickets opened at 7pm and show starts at 8pm. The theatre was a small one, but seem to be doing a decent job with what they have. I thought they might be sold out before I got there if I didn’t get there at 7pm. I was wrong, but it became crowded closer to the time. I was happy to sit and watch the three men talk about their lives on stage and how everything revolved around women problems. I thought the show was pretty good though. The night seemed to be another crispy one and got back to the hostel earlier than I had thought. The room is now full with other people and  while I was in there, there was a knock at the door from a lady. I think the girl sleeping in the room was her daughter and I never knew she was there.  Funny and awkward when I opened the door and I was not sure what to do as they obviously did not speak English. Still I did escape and leave my room for a little bit.

Tip

If you want to keep another itinerary in a safe place try to have an online email account so you can correspond with various people including tour operators. Makes life easier if you have forgotten and you need to organise family to send you the email. Make sure family have a copy of what you are doing too as they will be happy to know where you are. A blog does help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment