Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 29 The big easy in Wangarei, New Zealand



Day 29. Easy day in Whangarei

Today turned out to be one of no big amount of rushing around and relaxing while starting with the packing of my bags to head off to Auckland after an awesome time with grandparents. We did not truly leave the Whangarei area at all. I was happy to be up and the day turned out to be really nice, warm and sunny. This is the sort of day that I have been waiting for throughout my entire trip. I never needed a brolly or even a jumper. We did not leave the house early at all and I thought it was good to just sit around. Granny did show me some old family photos in an album that was in a box that I think we will eventually get to. I am going to have the folder on my person and is returning home with me.

We took a drive out to the Maunu cemetery to visit my great grandparents, George and Hazel Lissington. They were actually pretty easy to find and I was with Granny and Claude when we went to visit. I cant remembering visiting them before and there is another family member buried in the same cemetery, but I think he was right up the back. I did take a wander and found several interesting people one who served in the boar, WWI and WWII wars, another part of K force and two family members who drowned on the same day. I am going to look them up some time when I do get home. A family who were cleaning one of the graves asked me if I was alright and I told them I was wandering around after visiting my great grandparents with my grandparents. They did ask if I wanted to take up a brush jokingly. I had no answer other than to escape.

Later on I went to town with Claude as I wanted to visit the main library to see what the Northland, Media and New Zealand rooms held. We did visit the itty bitty Tikipunga library that didn’t have much there. Once I was dropped off at the main library I went wandering towards the genealogy section to see what they did have. I ended up finding the military books and there were a few from the NZ side of perspective, which I thought was good. The geneaology section had old newspapers on microfilm and the usual BDM, IGI (international Genealogy Index) type fiche that I would eventually look at in Auckland. The media centre I was a little unsure about, but seemed to have a fair collection of movies from different parts of NZ. I was noticed wandering closer to a research assistant and I told her my next stop was the Northland room. Turns out I would be shut in the room with the assistance of the librarian and having to wear gloves. It was explained that many libraries had information like this specific to their regions.  The records I had at my disposal were books from areas like the Hokianga and Bay of Islands and other places that were inbetween. I found a folder that interested me about the Hokianga and there was at the end advertisements, which included one from a company owned by a family member during the early 1900s. I was thinking about taking pics, but had forgotten to ask about their policy. I later found I could and they had no problems with it. Other resources that were included were dairy farming and the milking companies, guides to tramping, Kauri logging and gum digging, Whangarei council minutes and train lines and photos of course.

I knew Claude would be looking for me, so I walked out of the room and found I could have taken photos. You didn’t need to sign out after once you signed that you were going into the room. I told the lady I will come back another day and have a proper look. I then decided to have a quick look through the New Zealand room that had books about the different areas in New Zealand and some you could borrow. Claude actually walked past me looking at the different books on Christchurch including an actual history. Before going home I had to post some stuff home by economy. It might take a little bit to get there, but at least I know there was a considerable weight loss from my bag. I now have two boxes that I have posted to myself with books. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and packing my bags. I did find a little problem that I never had booked my uplift from the hostel to the airport. Somehow I had forgotten and I did book it. In the morning I will print the email. Luckily I checked it out.

Tip
Triple check what bookings had been made as you maybe missing one. Luckily It was not left to the last minute and I found it while still staying with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment