Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 24. New Zealand adventures in Russell on a rainy day



Day 24. A wet day in Russell with a broken umbrella, New Zealand.

Today was still wet when I woke up this morning and I actually had a decent nights sleep although i did watch a movie with some guys who seem to be LOTR fans. Yes I got involved with the parts of the movie and no, the movie wasn’t anything to do with Lord of the rings. We actually watched for the first time on VHS (gasp) Lock, stock and two smoking barrels. Not a bad British movie and different. I was booked for the Russell tour and I had done this before, so luckily it was a wet day and I could do that. I checked with the Kerikeri tour and they were not sure at that time of morning what was going to happen. I told them I will get back to them later especially since they have a office on the island.

I had bought both my brolly and a raincoat with me as I would rather have that little bit of dryness with the wet weather hanging around. It was funny as the weather was exactly the same as it was last time I visited Russell and the tour guide was the exact same bloke I had last time too. He didn’t remember me, but i did. Still It was pretty cool and I had to check that I was ready to go as I had left the travel sheet at home with the details. Before embarking on the hour tour of Russell, I headed to the First church in the town. This church was the first one built in New Zealand and has musket holes that I observed from the wars of the past with the Maori. I thought he church was a lovely little building especially the seats of the pews as they were all tapestries. Several I recognised including the Beagle, which was Charles Darwin’s boat. I did wander the cemetery as well of course and there were some interesting people buried there like the first white person born in NZ or bay of Islands and a Maori Chief too I think it is.

The tour takes you all over the island and some of the houses are really worth a lot of money several have been sold for over $1 million upwards to $9 Million too. The flag staff on flag staff hill was chopped down at least 4 times during conflicts with the Maori who attacked the town on several occasions including being nearly burnt to the ground except for the church and Pompallier Mission, which was a church and a printing press for bibles in the Maori language. This was actually a French run mission and the English were not too happy about it either. The whole area is historic especially when one family has run a supermarket for around 8 or 9 generations on the same spot in town. One of the hotels now a restaurant was actually a grog shop / brothel at one stage and another hotel is actually the first liquor license in New Zealand. The whole town in interesting especially when you learn more by visiting the museum. Another place you can stay at costs $25,000 a night minimum of 4 nights. Some Russians are staying there at the moment, which is cool. The other name for the town of Russell is Kororāreka meaning sweet penguin / sweet penguin meat or something like it in Maori..

Once we got back to the info centre in Russell I trotted inside and asked about the trip to Kerikeri. It had been cancelled and I got my refund. I had to figure out which card I actually used and then I was on my way for a wander around the soggy town on a wet day. After finding temporary relief from a bladder, my brolly broke. I had pulled the handle out and this was before I had seen about my cancelled tour. They advised that I try the chemist for a new one. I found one, but have to learn to stop playing with the button as it either collapses the brolly or shoots it up. Not fun if it is raining and it goes down. I cant help but hit the big button that is cool. I was worried I was going to lose it when I went to Russell museum. When I walked up the steps a lady was complaining to her hubby that you have to pay to go inside. They were complaining about the $7 entry. I nearly snapped back at them that they are ungrateful people as those inside are volunteers and need money to buy stuff and update the displays etc. I kept my mouth shut, but hovered around the entry to see if they would say something. They never did and I got to see the museum in Russell that had not really changed from my last visit. I don’t know if the ship Endeavour was called the Bark Endeavour or both as I have read both in books. There was a temporary display with items from the longest living founding families still in town. Zane Grey gets a mention about his fishing and the records he has made and there is also a video about the town too. The museum shop has many books about the history of the area and I was thinking that my family members could have visited the area too from The Hokianga.

After the museum I had a fish and chip lunch as you do in a sea side town. I had three little sparrows watching me eat and I did not feed them, but they were hanging with me like my own little crew that wanted something to do. Next I visited Pompallier Mission, which I had before on my last trip. I am checking to see if there have been any changes to the place. It started off as a French mission and over time people actually lived in the house and demolished the little church. The families that lived there did make changes and it was no longer a printing house for the maori bibles. They did everything there and it was bought in the late 90’s and fixed up by the conservation society and it is as it is today with gardens from the families who lived there in the past. They do show the differences through time strangely by using the dead rats. The house had thick mud brick type walls, which was how it survives as the wood at the time was very expensive. It was still raining by the time I wandered out.

By this time I thought I better leave for the mainland as it was late afternoon and I wanted to get some washing done. I caught the ferry with a happy do who wandered about the ferry as its owner was the skipper. Seems you can return on any ferry you want even though they are owned by different companies. Seem they reached this agreement around a year ago and they sort everything out at the end of the day. Return it is $12, which is reasonable and not that bad at all. On a nice day the Bay would look awesome. There was a farmers market on the village green as it was owned by the Williams family, who used to live in the house that is now the local library.  How do I know this? There is information plaques scattered around the area explaining what some of the buildings are and even the gates, which are called kissing gates. Seems Wifi is also available and people were using their computers in the rain, kid of worrying though and what happens when the trees start dripping? I did eventually wander back to the hostel and get my washing done while the new guy in my room was actually taking the weekend off from his job at the YHA in Auckland and he remembered me from the first time I arrived several weeks ago. He is pretty cool though and I was charging my stuff before the morning that I leave and head into my birthplace of Whangarei, spending time with grandparents and visiting some new places that I have not been to before.

Tip.
Make sure you have another plan in case the ones you have fall apart. The Kerikeri one got kaboshed twice and twice I had another plan, like Waitangi treaty grounds and staying at Russell for longer

No comments:

Post a Comment