Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 23. From Auckland to Paihia



Day 23 Auckland to Paihia

The day started early and I was glad to be out of the hostel as I did not get much sleep. The room was light on the road with street lights and even garbage trucks coming and going emptying the bins. I actually had the worse sleep while at any of the other hostels I had been to. Luckily I am not booked at this one for the rest o the time I go back to Auckland. Hopefully tonight I will get some decent sleep. The bus was already waiting and I could put my bag on board and then jump aboard.
The bus trip was not so bad at all and there were no major problems going to Paihia other than getting a phone call to say my trip to Kerikeri had been cancelled as I am the only one doing it and they cant run for one person. Not to worry, it started raining a little south of Whangarei and I was hoping that it was not going to be doing the same when I reached the Bay of Island. When we turned up it was actually very overcast and I went to speak to the tour people who transferred me to the trip tomorrow. I have to see them early in the morning before head to Russel for my 10am tour of the town. If it is then I will get my money back, which doesn’t  worry me too much as I can do other things.

Once I had booked in, I decided to go and post some things back home. I was pretty happy with sending 3kgs home for not very much at all. I think I will be happy that is now gone out of my bag. I will have some stuff that will be on its way home by economy. I grabbed a bite to eat as I headed for Waitangi treaty grounds. This was where the treaty of Waitangi was signed back in 1840 between the british and Maori chiefs. There were only several women allowed to sign. The weather was actually closing in and I could see it coming. I have been to the Treaty grounds once before so I knew what I was expecting and they had even included a new display on the grounds that was to show a typical Maori fishing village. Nothing much had changed and I was using my brolly by this time. It actually rained the entire time I was there and the walk back to the hostel. It was drizzle, but still annoying as I was feeling slightly damp.  I am beginning to think that the brolly is starting to fall apart, but will sort t out if it does die. In the morning I am heading to Russel which is a short ferry trip across.

No comments:

Post a Comment