Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 14, the Christchurch wanderer.


Day 14. Wandering about Christchurch.

This morning when I was able to look outside the weather did not look promising at all. It was cloudy and looked like it had rained over night. Something I do not want to happen while I am walking, although I did pack a light rain coat and my brolly. Thinking it might not be too cold, I only wore my light jumper with a hood. Though out the day I would realise it was a touch colder in the wind and I was worried I could not use by brolly at all. The plan was that here was no real plan other than find the national archives on Peterborough Street and then Barbados Cemetery, with a trip around lunch to the Re entry mall that houses shops in shipping crates. I was thinking about an open top bus too around 2pm that takes around 3 hours. Brad and concrete plans don’t always go together.

I was thinking the archives would have exhibitions other than the online one. I walked in and found some really lovely leadlight hangings about the area. They went all the way up the stairs, which I found interesting. I asked the lady who was at the reception and she said there was only just the online and the area including the reading room looked a little pokey and cramped unlike other locations like Wellington and Auckland. I didn’t have any research for this area unless I end up finding something that does. I did forget to ask about anything to do with Barbados cemetery, which was the first burial ground in the city. I did read that the city came into being through the New Zealand Company sending people over here. The next stop that I was after was the cemetery.

My first glimpse of Barbados cemetery on Barbados Street was the day before on the red zone bus tour. They said historic headstone did fall during the quake and that was all. What I found was that headstones had infact fallen, but had not been touched or even moved from the place they landed. Many were broken in several places. I did find the gate and the plaque with a stone map, that I could hardly read as it was covered with water. Around the side it explained when the cemetery opened and closed. Also there was an inscription about children dying of various diseases of the time and a few headstones reported this fact. One had around 7 names and dates listed. Due to age there were some that I could not read at all and several places I walked the ground felt soft especially where there were cracks in the ground especially where the retaining wall had fallen at one edge. The concrete footpath nearby had a strange wave effect, but had not cracked. Nearby was a meeting ground for the local Maori, which is something I do need to read up about as I am not fully certain of the significance as there is nothing to say what it is about. I was thinking I could return to the hostel for my jacket, but thought it would be too much of an annoyance.

Down Barbados street I wandered and found the gap filler program that I knew about. The city was doing this through volunteers to make the vacant land with no buildings useful. The first one of the day I rediscovered from the tour yesterday was the book exchange where books are housed in an old fridge. Throughout the day I would find more, but that is a story for later. A church that I knew was badly damaged was further down the street. I think it was a catholic cathedral, but they are slowly pulling it apart and putting the building materials in a secret location. I do find this strange in this day and age that they have to be so secretive. At least they are doing the right thing and trying to save their church, unless I am thinking of the wrong one. Further down the road I did see my first drive in Subway shop. This was the strangest thing I had ever seen. The wandering did lead me to the main drag on the other side of the city. I think because of the earthquake the traffic lights take a while to change or don’t seem to work properly especially the walk ones. I did end up another painting that looked like  giant took shadows that pople have on their walls. Pretty cool though.

I did stop for lunch as I felt the need to answer the call of nature and Burger King did have a toilet. I fuelled up and found the Warehouse store that is a department store like Kmart and Big W. I had never been in one before and had heard plenty from other people who had visited. I looked at the books, although they have a collection of Supernatural romance novels, but I went for some new socks. I was after some thick socks that would be comfy on my feet. Something I had only just realised was that my heels are no longer sore while wearing my boots. They had been sore and bruised in the first couple of days of wearing them, which was after I learnt to tie the laces properly. My feet do not get too sore from wearing them all day long either. The slow way to the Re-start mall took me past the only Canterbury Brewery that looks like it is being knocked down, but not too sure on that one.

The restart mall is located near the old centre of the city and is using spaces by having retailers in shipping containers. This includes coffee shops, banks, bookshops and even Kathmandu. I stopped in front of a place that was wanting pictures of the city and they were offering free coffee. I inquired about the pictures. They explained they wanted the funky side of the city and had a list of where the gap filler people had placed things, although many more were popping up everyday. I gave them copies of some of my pictures and they even tweeted one of them on their twitter page, which is #chch. They liked my pics and didn’t know about the National archives with their leadlight hangings. I found out that there was a dance ground nearby that involved putting money into a washing machine and it would play your ipod for half an hour. Somehow I don’t think people would want to listen to podcasts for half an hour.

 I did get my free coffee and I had that with a brownie. I then wandered around the shopping precinct finding a lingerie shop, where the women had horse heads and the book shop. Why the bookshop? I found a book I was not really looking for that I was not really looking for. I ended up with Silmarillion illustrated and Christchurch crimes 1850 – 75. One was another part to LOTR books and The Hobbit too. Supposedly it was about the rings being forged or before. The Christchurch one I thought was interesting and found the writer is a professor at the local university and well known. The blurb on the book got my attention. He had been researching something else and got distracted by crimes of the same era. That was how he ended up writing the book. I was talking about the Penguin history of NZ and seems it is another well know book and the writer died just after it was published. Shop assistants history buffs or what? Earlier there was a book I had found that was very different. It was written about the vanishing chimneys of Christchurch through the earthquake. Should be an interesting read and I have yet to find a book about the history of the city other than books on the quakes.

The last plan of the day ended up with myself wandering around looking for all the gapfillers that had been listed. There were a few and I think I found all the ones I had been looking for as there were 10 official ones that are known listed. Some were the dance mat, book exchange, a community chessboard and a golf course. During this wander like on several other occasions, it did sprinkle and I did put on my rain coat. It went over my backpack and once zippered up it was a little tight at the front especially with a bag. After getting to the hostel I was buggered and wanted a shower before heading off to look for food. On the way back I found an eatery / bar that was actually two buses with tables around them. Now that is what I call awesome. After showering, I went out again looking for food and settled on a Thai restaurant. Whatever I ate was spicy hot, burning my lips and the Singh beer hit the spot and more. Tomorrow I am off to Queenstown after leaving wonderful Chrischurch that I will one day have to visit again and actually go on one of the 3 hour bus tours.

Tip
Lock up your passport in a secure locked spot or have it on your person. Some bars do not accept international licenses other than a passport. Carry a padlock and keys with you and Bob’s your aunty.

No comments:

Post a Comment