Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 17. A day in Arrowtown, New Zealand


Day 17 Day visit to Arrowtown

I planned for today to visit the gold settlement of Arrowtown. I actually left pretty early in the morning and was ontime for the bus I wanted to catch although the driver did something I did not expect. He asked the connecting bus to Arrowtown to wait for me and I thought that it was excellent. Their scan cards are pretty good as well and you do not need to scan them again when you get off the bus only when you enter. I was up bright and early as I said and actually had around an hour before the museum opened and I knew where some of the other locations I wanted to visit were. The town of Arrowtown, built on the Arrow river was at one stage one of the towns in the area important for the gold rush. After the gold ran out the town went back to being pastoralists. There is another town in the hills that is now a ghost town, but historic anyway and is called Mace Town. You can walk or drive up to it, although recommended you take camping gear with you.

The bakery for a pie and a coffee as I wanted one was my first stop in town. My plan was the cemetery and then to the Chinese settlement. On the way to the cemetery, I had seen the war memorial on a hill and I was wondering how I get up to that hill as it was very steep. Turns out there was a back way next to the local kindy, which is across the road from the cemetery. The view into the mountains were really nice especially early in the morning as the sun was warm. The war memorial had been built right on the edge too and you would not be happy to fall down the hill. I wandered through the cemetery and found I still had time before the museum opened and walked to the Chinee settlement. This place was where the Chinese lived when the gold rush was on in the area. There were mixed feelings at the time as well. Several of the buildings were repiicas of what they would have looked like and there were some ruins as well. Several of the Chinese did stay in the area long after the gold rush had ended and one after he died was actually buried with full honours by the locals. The four denominations in town carried his coffin as he was well respected. The settlement shows you how the Chinese lived in their little community making their living.

By the time I walked the settlement, the museum was open and ready for business. I knew that it would cost some money to enter and part of the museum building was actually the original bank building. The museum was mainly about the origins of the area through Maori myth and legends. They did tell of the beginnings of Queenstown and how it was a farm before the town grew. Two men in the employ of the farmer found gold and they couldn’t keep it quiet and that started the whole original rush. Other parts of the museum  showed the various modes that were used to cross the water including the various bridges including one that was not constructed very well. Down stairs showed you the various ways of getting gold from panning to the sluicing machines. Stories included some of the characters who worked the claims and several of the robberies. A common myth was that gold had fallen through the floor boards in the bank. This was not actually true, but it had been stored under the bank. I did watch some school kids being harassed by a school mistress as they were acting out the time period in the 1880s New Zealand. I was actually laughing at them though while watching on. Later I heard that some of them were sick as they had caught a bug.

Later after wandering the museum, I hired a pan and garden shovel to try my hand at panning for gold. There were several things that I thought was gold, but was not. I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for as I did see some slivers of silver rocks that were small. I might just have gone, rock, another rock and so on. I spent nearly two hours doing this in various locations along the river. I asked if there was any areas where I was not allowed. The answer was no, anywhere you want to try your luck. Supposedly there is still little bits of gold found. I never found any, although if I had I would not have known regardless. After my time gold mining, I went looking for the old goal and after a while and reading the map wrong, I found another historic place. This was Australia’s Saint Mary’s house. She had only stayed in Arrowtown for only a month.

By this time it was time for me to head back to Queenstown, where I would have to pack for the following day and my trip to Dunedin. I was a little worried about the weather as I could see the clouds rolling in down the hills. It was spitting when I wandered into the Frankton cemetery, although I never knew the area to have so many vehicles just driving around at just after 5pm in the afternoon. It was a little bit crazy, but then again I did get some nice pics of the clouds. It never rained until after I had gotten back and had gone for a shower. I only knew about the rain when I went to dinner. I had thought about the Ice bar and that is $20 entry without a drink. Something I will leave for next time is a boat trip on the lake. It has been such a long day and I had been on my feet for nearly the entire time. The gold panning I never sat down for and the only times I really rested was when I stopped for coffee twice and waiting for the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment