Monday, July 22, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 55 Coming Home




By the numbers
Bag 24 kilos
1 book
18,821 steps
14 kms.

I didn’t have that great a sleep in the hotel, although I think that was due to the fact my last day in Singapore would be today. I would have to pack my clothes before leaving as I was going to leave my bags with my friend Dawn as I didn’t fly out until later that night, which is annoying in some ways. I prefer leaving in the early afternoon, but due to the time difference it is around a 7 hour flight so would reach Australia in the morning around daylight. The weather looked like it would be another hot day.

Making sure I had enough time as I wanted to be checked out before the weather became too hot and also finding it strange that it isn’t light til around 6am as I have been woken up by daylight in the UK that has come well before 5am. I found breakfast and then sorted out my room before leaving. I caught a bus that would take me to where Dawn lives where I would drop my bags off. The good thing is I could se Google maps to anticipate where the bus would stop and when I would get off, which makes life pretty easy. The fact the map can show you the entire bus service and where it stops is pretty good. I can follow instructions as I met Dawn and dropped off my bags before heading off for something to eat as it was close to midday. We had to go out anyway as I was wanting my itinerary to be printed off and being Scoot, I wanted to make sure as it was something they wanted. I don’t know if those guys become annoyed when you don’t follow their instructions or even refuse to let you board. I didn’t really have any plans and made a plan to visit the Botanic Gardens on the go.

It did get busy while I was on the train and I was only taking two different trains to the Gardens. I also didn’t want to run out of time, so wasn’t going to spend too much time at the gardens.  It was actually a short ride, what with the changing of stations and simpler than most trips. It was beginning to heat up and I found the gardens were actually a UNESCO heritage site, so it must have been good. Some of the history was interesting as parts like near the MRT station was run by the military something to do with growing food and had a specific name that I cannot remember off hand. I did see on the map that there was a shop with an Orchard section, so I made my way to that area while trying to stay out of the sun. The shop did have my attention and maybe due to it being cooler there too. Did I mention that it had gotten to be a very warm day and that I was dreading going back to the airport as I was just going to sweat like no body’s business? I was actually surprised by how busy the Botanic Gardens actually were during the day. I have no idea if it is open at night. I walked back the way I came and found that there was a heritage walk that I could do. While that little bit of information would be helpful, I don’t think I could do the walk as I would really run out of time.

I had to jump back on the trains and make my way back to Dawn’s place to pick up my bags as it was basically that time that I needed to leave. I had been told that I was out of my mind wanting to walk to the MRT station that would take me to the airport, I just needed to catch three trains. It wasn’t far of a walk to meet up with Dawn and it was actually funny as there is security at her place and I got lost trying to get into the building. I went in through the wrong door, which was actually the wrong building. Nothing like a hotel type foyer that connects you anywhere. I am just that good at getting myself lost with simple instructions. Dawn met me down stairs and we sorted out my flight itinerary and learnt that others have trouble trying to lift my bag as it is heavy. I didn’t stick around too long after a shower to refresh myself. I did end up walking the 10 or so minutes back to the Novena MRT station. I must have looked to be a weird sight walking up a overpass and onto the station. I did get lost in the shopping centre as I thought I knew a shop that was near the station, but I had to walk through the shop with my heavy bags.

Walking through the station, I knew I needed the Town Hall station to get the train that would take me all the way to the airport. I carried my bags onto the train instead of on my back as I don’t want to wipe people out. I stood on the train as people left and crowded on. Everyone seemed to be quiet and no one making a fuss. Once I made it to the train that took me to the airport, it was then everyone with bags appeared. I had to stop once I arrived at Changi to check to make sure my plane was still leaving at the right time. I had at least an hour and half at the airport before I could even check in. I made my way with a luggage carrier as they are the best things since sliced bread to use. I found where I needed to go and sat reading nearby while marvelling at the manual flight board flicking over as the times changed. By the time I was ready to leave I sorted out my check in at the terminal as I wasn’t exactly sure if I was a normal customer or since my upgrade if I was now a business class passenger. I followed the line with everyone else and the guy sorting me out never told me I shouldn’t be there. Once my bag went off into the yonder with all the other bags, I made my way to the immigration to go through into the terminal so that I could eat and get a passport stamp. They have my thumb prints so it is all good.

I found the food and then took to taking a wander looking for my gate. I knew some gates were basically in the back of beyond away from everything. Looking at several shops along the way, I vowed to return for a look until I ended up at the gate that was well away from everything else. I had another hour before the gate would open as they have the security checks before you get on at every gate. Nearby was one of those snooze lounges and an entertainment area with movies showing. No sound though. I wandered back to where the book shop was to have a browse and found nothing that would be good to read at the moment. I didn’t want to add to the weight of the bag unless they weighed it when I passed through security. Wandering back, I ended up sitting in on a movie while changing my sim card so I could remember the number since I couldn’t with my travel sim. I was wanting to use the wifi and the airport wanted the phone number. Very annoying when that happens. The gate did open and the security were working through a line of people and the time to board seemed to get later. I don’t even think there was a loo on this end of the security.

Once we were able to board the plane people stood up even though they were told the first three rows. I was actually in row 2 on the plane, so front seat rebel. My seat was very comfy leather type seat and I was in an aisle, which I somehow think I will do next time I fly. That means no waking others or telling them I will be a pain in the ass. I could even see the door of the plane where I would exit. The next best seat would be in the cockpit with the better views and the pilot sounded like an Aussie. We did get a water before we took off and once in the air, we were given a complimentary drink that we had told them what we wanted. I could have gotten alcohol, but chose not to. There were no TV for me on this flight as I had to use an App on my device being a phone. It would be around 7 hours to fly and I had a book. Turns out the book lasted around 4 hours into the flight while annoying the person next to me with my light. We did get fed in between and fill out immigration cards for Australia. I didn’t actually sleep on the plane other than quick snoozes. By the time we landed, I found just how cold it was back home and I thought it was refreshing considering I had been in the heat of Singapore. There was a flight from Japan that had been before us, but they had collected their bags. We had a little bit of a wait before the bags were unloaded and the sniffer dog were checking the bags, but mine came later. I think it was lucky that I had clips that clipped the main bag to the smaller bag as that zipper had somehow parted, so the two bags were half hanging off. That told me I will need to replace my bags before another long trip overseas. How the closed zipper parted would have been due to someone trying to pick the bag up and the weight wouldn’t have helped either. Nigel was even waiting for me when I exited the baggage area and into the main part of the airport. I was tired, but would crash later on in the day as the jetlag caught up with me.

This trip has been a huge learning experience and have pushed me to the brink and back especially with having my wallet taken. The wallet incident did knock me around a little bit, but in some strange way it kept my bags light as I went around the country. I will use that experience as part of my travel to say I have had it done. That was not easy, but I persevered and went on with my journey regardless. I was only really lucky that I had accommodation paid for already, so didn’t need to pay until I reached certain locations. Some accommodation, I might not stay in again. Not really due to the distance from transport as there were some really nice places that were homey. Several were a little too far from places to buy food like where I stayed in Brussels as an example or even locations I stayed at around 10 years before were looking a little tired now. I kept an eye on everything including if doors closed properly or even if I accidentally broke the security by entering. Uber Eats might be a handy resource especially in countries you do not speak the language. They do seem to get preference over other people who are in the shop. I was usually the only person up around 7am in the morning, which meant the loos were mine to use without major problems and I could eat and run.

1 comment:

  1. It was really great to catch up with you in Singapore, Brad! You had an amazing, adventure-filled trip indeed!

    ReplyDelete