Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 51 London cemeteries and Museums




By the numbers
21,638 steps
15.86 kms
The day was overcast when I got up and I wanted to visit a cemetery, one of the big ones that were created. It was called Brompton and I wanted to visit as it was open around 7am. I was up early enough and could walk to one of the closer overground stations, where I would jump on a train that takes me to my destination. I ordered a coffee before getting to the station, but not food as all the shop had was vegan stuff. It was funny walking up the stairs to the platform and people running past where I was hoping I would not end up wearing my coffee as some person barges into me. That never happened, but the runners were on the train and I just casually step onto the train before it leaves. I wasn’t even worried about catching that one as I could have gotten the next one.

I didn’t actually know where the cemetery entrance was and I was hungry and found a shop across the road from the train station. I ended up with a choc chip cookie for breakfast as you do and I did throw my coffee cup in the bin after I got off the train. Seems Londoners don’t know how to do that. The cemetery as I found was actually next door to the Underground / Overground tube stations, which I thought to be really helpful in getting around. I took a wander through the cemetery and had to look up who was there as I realised I was thinking of the wrong place. I knew I would be visiting number 3 of the 7 cemeteries in London and I am happy to have done at least that bit. I did see crows, pigeons and squirrels in the cemetery and I was meant to see bats and even woodpeckers around too. I wandered around having a look and there were overgrown parts, but that was part of the cemetery scene. I have no idea if there are guides for finding the whose who of the cemetery, but I did find the Chelsea pensioners monument with all the pretty flowers around the area. Without plans on where to visit next, I stopped for a coffee in the cafe to work out my plans.

The plan ended up being the natural history museum in Kensington where I would see the dinosaurs without being too rushed or frustrated. I found once I got off the station that there was a tunnel that went from the tube station right to the outside of the museum, it did extend to a few other museums locally, but you still had to walk through the museum entrance. What I was expecting was to see the museum so crowded and I was having to push my way through people to get anywhere. That did include the dinosaur section as I don’t remember it being that busy last time I didn’t want to stay too long as I wanted to be at the hostel early enough to pack and sort out my stuff. I made it through the dinosaurs and I think there were more there than there was last time, I was in the country, but at least I ended up in the section for the marine animals that were found by fossil hunters like Mary Anning in the 1800s. That part I never seen and I never made it to the second level either that had treasures like lions that used to live in England or even a sliver of moon rock from the landing being the only British piece. There was another museum I wanted to visit before going home and that I worked out.

I wanted the London Museum next as it was about the history of London that went pretty far back until now. Had to get two trains there and then walk to the museum, which was less than 10 mins away. I found there was less pressure to donate to thios museum than there was to at the Natural History museum. They had sections for different donations through your card on tap and go. I didn’t donate as I need the money for myself. The museum had items that were from times before the Romans were in the area and many things had been dug up in certain locations including near Heathrow, which included Roman finds. There was a Roman Ampatheatre found too and that is a place people can visit, which would be pretty cool. There were still remains of Roman wall near to the museum, which you can view from the window inside the museum. There are other parts that include both the plague and the fire in 1666 that raged through the city in 6 or so days. The rest of the museum took the time line until now and I was even surprised there were riots in 1981. All the stuff in the museum related to what was happening within the London region and not outside like say York. Factories in London closed in the 1970s and society and culture changed as the years rolled on. I wanted to get some books that were for sale, but I held my horses as I knew I might not have room for them and that was very true.

Once I left the museum, I headed to Bond Street station to the expensive areas for a look at Selfridge shops. I walked in and got stuck looking at clothes that I couldn’t afford. If I wanted to spend large sums for a white shirt, I could have and be none the wiser. People did buy that stuff and the shops were crowded with people looking and even though I looked shaggy, I probably was better dressed, maybe. I did look at belts and even a pair of sandals that were Gucci. I escaped the store and headed off to other things. I decided since it was 5pm, I really should head to the hostel and check to see if the signal problems were working or still causing trouble. I think they were, but I wasn’t too worried and I was hoping they would be resolved by tomorrow or I would be walking from maybe Euston station instead of King’s Cross. Packing showed me that it was a good idea to leave things behind like clothes. Smelly clothes that I think would be a touch on the nose in my bag. I will know how heavy my bags are by the time I get to the airport. That shall be amusing and fun, even though my weight is 30kg, but I still have a flight to the Gold Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment