Monday, July 8, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 50 Harry Potter tour and London Wanderings


0


By the numbers
19,078 Steps
14.1 kms

The morning started pretty well. I was able to sort myself out at the hostel for breakfast. The weather was looking good and I was happy to be wanting to get the train from the usual station to Kings Cross as I had the plan to look for the BagBNB place where I was going to store my bag before heading to my flight on Wednesday. I wanted to make sure I found the place or else I could get lost. The plan didn’t go exactly like that at all. I turn up to the station and find that the tube line has signal problems and likely that it being Monday the train was packed with people trying to squeeze on. I turned around and walked out of the station with the idea to walk to King’s Cross and go from there.

TPart of the walk involved going down to Camden and walking from there. I thought it was just a straight up trip until I realised I was following the water course all the way into King’s Cross station. I found the river takes ytou through to Liverpool and I seen a guy working the loch system and I thought he was employed there. He was the boat owner and he told me there is quite a bit of waterway that he could travel and he lives on the boat. I was following a canal system that was interesting and it was not busy here like it had been several afternoons ago. The boat going up the loch was interesting and a welcome distraction. Once he putted off up river, I wandered down. There were plenty of joggers and cyclists even though there were no barriers between the path and the water. I ended up at a location, I was wanting to visit and that was the St Pancras old church, which was a cemetery, but now sliced up to make way for train lines, although there were still graves there.. The church itself, I had a look at inside before wandering off as it had been the one where several family members were baptised in during the 1800s.

After the church, I found King’s Cross station and the Google offices and I wandered in to see what would happen and the security guy said they were offices and I just walked back out again as that was me satisfied as I had no good explanation to go past him. The BagBNB place I found without a problem and people were dropping their bags off at the same time I had a sticky beak and I don’t think anyone noticed me at all. The next step was the British Library, although I was actually running out of time before I left for the Harry Potter tour. I had a short look around and something to eat in the British Library before heading to Euston station where I caught the train to Watford Junction where I caught the bus to the studios where I would have my tour.

I was around 2 hours early and I needed that as it was really buisy there. There were school groups and kids everywhere. I had my ticket and they kept on asking for my ID throughout the shopping experience I had as I was getting a great workout for my passport.. I did look through the shop and then waited 20 or so mins while reading my book. The tour itself was  interesting as the many sets were still there inclkuding the vehicles like the Hogwarts Express, which was a real train and they were using movie magic for many things. I did try Butter Beer and didn’t like it and didn’t drink that much of it They did show how the houses like on Privett Drive were created and they were fake houses that you could see some of the scaffolding inside if you looked hard enough. The bus shown in the movie was made of three double deckers and they did have animatronics for the movie like  an owl and a few other things throughout the movie. It was interesting how they used the concepts within the movie to make their magic and some of the sets were even right next door to each other. I want to see the movies again as I want to see parts like Gringots Goblin bank as that is now part of the attraction. By the time you finished, you ended up in the main shop. Though throughout the tour there were shops selling merchandise like for the Hogwarts express or even in the Haunted Forest.

I knew it was getting late and with nearly an hour before the whole place shuts and I decided to have dinner there although it wasn’t that nice as it was a sandwich and chips. It took two bus strips before I could get onto the second bus that would take me back to the station. From there I jumped onto a train and to the station that I needed before walking up the hill to the hostel. It was after 8pm by the time I returned and I was happy that it had not tried to rain as thats what it looked like when I left the Harry Potter studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment