Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 44 White Cliffs of Dover



By the numbers

16 Day Heritage Pass £42, sites visited £55.50 or $100 AUD
28,536 Steps
20.24 kms

I had a pretty good sleep as the night before, I had a headache that I think could have been from lack of sleep the night before, a little bit from the heat and no coffee. I was allowed to sleep this time round and up before 730 am to have breakfast before leaving on a train to Dover, where I had a castle to visit It wasn’t that far to walk and I was expecting to catch the train at 930am, but had enough time to catch the one at 830am, which was pretty good as it took me into Dover station, where it would be a short walk up hill to Dover Castle.

I had to walk the hill all the way up to Dover Castle and I took some stairs as I thought that would be a better place to get inside. I was turned around at the drawbridge gate by a security guard who told me I gad to buy a ticket at 10am. It was twenty to ten and I found the ticket gate that I had avoided when coming up the steps. The ticket gate was a little booth as the main one is further up the hill at the main entrance. I started walking that way and soon realised it was not much fun walking up a big hill, so walked back and waited until 10am so I could enter the castle. I didn’t have long to wait by that time and I was happy to finally visit the castle as last time I was there it had been shut for the winter apart from being open on the weekend. Before I left home, I nearly thought it would be closed on the day I was going to visit, but that changed luckily.

The first place I headed to was a platform that was used during WW1 to direct communications amongst the shipping traffic using Morse code and telephone. The place had a great view of the harbour and thats what it was used for during the war. From there I headed up the hill towards an old church that had something I had wanted to see for quite some time and that was an old Roman Lighthouse, which was the oldest structure on the site as there had also been Roman Fortifications, but I don’t know if they tried finding those or not. The Actual Castle is nearby and pretty imposing as it was built by King Henry II in the late 1100’s and has morphed into what it is today as it had been used throughout time up to World War 2. The castle you could walk through and there was an actual fire burning in the fire place. I did question the fire in the middle of summer. It was explained that it adds to the atmosphere. It did look good though and there were other room you could explore on your way to the roof. That showed a spectacular view of the whole area. I did end up in some medieval tunnels nearby that were a little bit dark and there was only one way in and out as I soon found out. Going back the way I came was loads of fun.

I made it to a tunnel tour of Operation Dynamo, which was a tour of the tunnels where events played out during World War 2 with Dover being defended although Dover was attacked from France with Germany lobbing shells and air raids to attack the area. Operation Dynamo was the biggest event that took place and that was where the Dunkirk evacuation took place over 10 days and included the little ships as well. The tunnels were built during the 1700s and used during the Napoleonic wars and extended during World War 2. There were around 4 miles of tunnel and I still don’t see how you could possibly get lost there as you are directed where to go the entire way. The story of the operation is through video clips and audio starts with the beginning to how the action at Dunkirk played out. At the end the displays show old telephone switchboards and video on how some of the other stuff worked like the radar and the artillery making sure of the positions of friendly pilots so they wouldn’t be shot down. I did love how at the end of the tour you ended up in the gift shop, although there was a little display about the operation in Dunkirk and defending Dover from attack. The tunnels were kept secret from the Germans throughout the war and reached a depth of 24 metres underground, although I am guessing they go deeper.

It was getting close to the time that I should return and I decided to walk the ramparts before leaving and I did get a pretty good view of the white cliffs of Dover, although in the tunnels you were actually metres behind the cliffs. The ramparts are the defences and they had where the anti air were located and also some of the old canons as the castle had been involved in conflict in the past. I left the castle and walked to the water where I had a better view of the cliffs, although it was pretty warm outside by the afternoon. I knew I had to turn around and head to the train station and I made it there with at least 10 mins before a train left until I realised I needed to be on platform 3 and not 1. That was very lucky I checked as I was going to hop onto a train that didn’t stop at Canterbury. It even left one minute early unless my phone is 1 min slow. Once back in Canterbury, I had a walk along the wall before heading back to the hostel as they have pizza. Turns out they are out of pizza bases and I had to walk up the road for something else that ended up being Pizza from Pizza Hutt. I walked that back and had that for tea. From the way the menu at the hostel reads it is only pizza they have. Hopefully they don’t run out of anything else for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment