Friday, July 12, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 52 London to Singapore



By the numbers
16,779 steps
12.42 kms
Main bag 22 kgs

I checked out of the hostel just before 8am and was hoping that i would be able to put my bag into BagBNB without a problem. I had the time set to being 9am and I ended up there at around ten mins to 9am and they still allowed the bag in. I was hoping there would be no problems by the end of the day and I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do.. I chose the one place that I knew I could spend most of my time and that was The London Tower, although I could have done that at any museum. After dropping my bags off I went next door to a cafe that had a full English breakfast that included coffee. A big mug and breakfast that included baked beans, bacon, snags and tomoto. That would fill me up for the rest of the day. It was better than the 3 pound breakfast that only really included toast at the hostel. I never went for the free dinners as I never knew what time I would return and had something when I was hungry.

I had no problems getting the train to Tower bridge or whatever the station was called that is closest to the London Tower. I could have stuck around and visited the British museum, but I wanted the Tower as that has been on my wish list for a long time and so has the British museum to be honest. I grabbed the train to the Tower and I wasnt really sure when it opened. The phone said 9am and the ticketbooth said 10am, but I was able to get my ticket just before 10 am anyway and I wandered into the Tower. It was defensive structure that was also part of old Roman London too. Also a prison and the hero of Waterloo, Wellington was also in charge of  the London Tower at one stage well after the battle. The place was also the Zoo before the animals were moved to Regents Park that became the London Zoo.

The Beefeaters take you on tours and they are actual military veterans with 22 years service and good behaviour too plus you have to be of certain rank to get to become one. I was happy to be taken on a tour of the grounds. They tell you the story of the grounds and including that they were going to house Hitler in the London Tower once they caught him, but they never had the pleasure. The waterline had been moved bacdk to what the Thames is presently today and you can visualise it when looking at Traitors Gate, which is the waterline as they bought the guilty party inside through the gate and stores as well. Very few people were executed inside the tower. They were usually marched outside to Tower Hill where they are beheaded. Two Queen’s were executed inside the tower by King Henry VIII as you do. Catherin Howard I think was covered in quicklime and her body was no longer there in the church, but Anne’s was. One of the towers holds the crown jewels and it was amazing to get into a short line to view them. It did include a spoon too. During the Civil War the crown Jewels were destroyed and afterwards new ones made. I would have to say these are more impressive than what Sweden has and there are more, although its more of a touristy thing in the UK and without having to walk downstairs into a dungeon type area. The vault doors are really thick.

I got to see the various armours that were for the kings that are on display in the white tower. I think they used this as the dungeon / prison too. There was a well in there too that still had water. I really don’t know what it is with people throwing money into the well and other bits of water within the area, but they do. I got to see the different pieces of armour worn by kings and also the many collections of old weaponry and some from Waterloo. People did seem to want to walk up and down the stairs slowly. I was listening to the radio and some school kids were in trouble for mucking up and they security were on top of that. I don’t know if they were Beefeaters too, but they would not be happy with the kids and I had already heard a teacher telling two off for doing something and they were described to the point of their uniforms too. Some areas you are not allowed to walk into even if the toilet is nearby. I watched a lady get turned around and there were no exceptions as it was a military area. I do find it funny how there are gift shops in nearly every part of the area as the basement of the white tower had a gift shop, giving you the opportunity to buy anything.

I seen that time was slowly slipping away from me as the day grew later and I was wanting to get the tube to Heathrow and be at the airport with heaps of time. I had to stop for a drink and food at the cafe in the Tower. I knew I needed food even when I don’t feel like it. I had a little wander afterwards before returning to the tube station following the underpass instead of the main road. I found bits of old Roman wall even though they had traced the line inside the Tower. I think there was more around the corner to look at, but I really had to go as I needed to pick up my bag. Then came a problem with the tube. I ended up getting to a station that was heading away from where I was meant to. Luckily the station I jumped off at, had trains that were heading to King’s Cross. That is why I keep an eye on the tube maps to make sure I am going the right way. I made it to King’s Cross and needed a loo. I found out there was a huge problem with the train network, a power line had fallen onto the tracks. Meanwhile I collected my bag and spent 40 mins on the tube getting to Heathrow where I found it got crowded at certain points and then cleared the further away from the popular stations..

Once we arrived, I was happy as I soon found it was a short distance from the train terminal to Terminal 3. The first thing I did was get changed and to weigh my main bag, which was 22 kilos. I managed to check myself in on time and sorting my bag at the bag drop. It was pretty easy or so I hoped as I walked in through security and the system didn’t like me. Turns out I forgot my passport folder in my pocket and the body scanner was picking that up. I forgot it was there and they were happy once they found the culprit. I collected my bag and other stuff including my jumper I did have a pie for dinner in one of the restaurants after they asked if I wanted to eat or drink. I had my own drink and they didn’t care that I had a pepsi with me. There was a little bit of waiting around before finding the gate number and the plane. Once I boarded the plane, I found there was a problem and that did not include the movies list. Half the bags had not been put on the plane as the baggage conveyors in Heathrow had broken down and that included the crew bags too. I had everything I needed to charge my devices luckily and that included my keyboard and mouse. The movie selection included Game of Thrones and I was being served by Chris Hemmsworth, literally the guy looked like him and he asked if I would like the lady in front to move her seat forward. I said nope as its now at a perfect angle. I didn’t get that much sleep on the 12 hour flight as I was watching movies.

The landing was pretty good at Singapore and I had to sort out the baggage stuff and was given $100, which I thought I had to pay. I changed my money too that I had stored away in my hidden area where my other cards are kept. I think I have enough coin to last me while I am in SG and all will be good. I got to the train to get me into the part of Singapore I am staying at and I was rude to some strange lady who told me that I needed the correct change until I realised that she was one of the officials at the station. I did say sorry though and she was alright with me. Ther jumping on and off trains was fun even as it was getting dark. My phone at my final train sent me the long way round to the hotel and I had a friend, Dawn waiting for me when I turned up. Once I checked in, I went out for some food. I also went looking for more clothes as I needed a shirt as I had walked up a sweat getting to the hotel. So muggy and humid in Singapore. When I was fed, I was left to my own devices where I had a shower and ended up in bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment