Monday, July 1, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 43 Off to Canterbury



By the numbers
14,178 steps
10.63 kms

I actually woke up pretty early as I had the need everyone of an advanced age needs in the morning and that was the loo. At the same time I checked on the train timetable to make sure everything was running smoothly. At 5am that might be a bit hard to figure out. I came across a report of signal problems that would apparently go until 830am between several stations to London Victoria. That had me worried and I couldn’t really sleep for the next couple of hours as it was churning in my mind and the ticket I had said the train was one trip, but the journey planner said two trains. The morning wasn’t too bad as it was sunny and I would get something to eat on my wait to the station, although that was an egg sandwich at the station.

I could see my train was running all the way to Victoria and I was happy to wait the 40 mins before it came as I didn’t know how long it would take for me to get to the station from where I was staying. I couldn’t use the loos at the station anyway as they had blockages. The train arrived on time and as requested. It wasn’t that bad a trip into London and I was off the train and stuck in a big crowd building up at the ticket gate. To get everyone out the workers opened the gate and we all streamed out. I had my wallet and phone in my bah on my front. I didn’t want to get stuck like I had again, although there is only one card. I was able to make my way easily to the bus station, which I realised that I needed to check what bus I was on as there were heaps of bus’ leaving at the time I had. I did ask one lady, but I think she wasn’t sure what I was after. I thought if the bus leaving for Dover at 1130am, could also mean the next one that I was after left from the same area. My bus I found wasn’t going to Dover at all, but Ramsgate, which was nearby. The gate opened up 15 mins before departure and closed 2 mins before. I did see several people miss their bus, only to watch them pull away.

My bus I was able to get on in time and I had no problems going through London just to get to Canterbury. Getting into Canterbury were at least 10 mins late, but that didn’t actually matter as I still had to walk to the hostel. It wasn’t very far and in some places there were subway like tunnels under the roads so it was easy to get across. Turns out I was lucky as I arrived just after 3pm and that was when the office reopened, but they told me to come back as they were sorting out the til. I only had to wait 5 mins and I could check into my room. I also ordered breakfast for both mornings that I am at the hostel. I then took off walking once I sorted out myself and some more data for my phone as it only lasts a month before rolling over. Not ideal happening when I was on the bus to Canterbury.

The first location, I was trying for was an English Heritage site that was the St Augustine’s Abbey. It was an old Abbey that had been rebuilt when the Normans invaded. There were monks in the building and by the time King Henry VIII came along he was basically shutting down the Abbeys and this was one of them. It had been dug up over time and many parts collapsed into ruin and land sold off. It is even part of a 1800km walk, which is a pilgrim’s walk that you can get a special passport for that takes you all the way to Rome. There are several Norman Kings buried here or there were. I didn’t see anything to say they were not still there, but St Augustine is no longer there as he was moved on I was lucky as the museum didn’t close until 6pm and I was able to look around the grounds and the museum before I left. I thought I better get back before it got too late and I ended up taking a walk to the Cathedral, which is undergoing renovation. The cathedral by this time of day was closed and I did get to walk around the open parts.

On the way back I went looking to see if there were specific places the National Express bus stopped and it only seemed to be where the bus dropped me off. The rest of the bus services were for the local ones, which I was happy to know. I did plan to get a supermarket meal and I couldn’t make up my mind, which one I wanted. One that I nearly took with me was oven onbly and took 30 mins to cook. Then once I found what I wanted I found my card would not work in the supermarket and they had not seen a travel card before. I was worried I had locked my card again, but that wasn’t the case at all. I think it might be that specific supermarket. I did see in another one that I could have had a roast beef. That will be something I will look at or pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment