Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 9 Whirlwind tour in Coromandel Town






Day 9 Whirlwind tour in Coromandel Town

    I did get some decent sleep the night before and was up bright and early to make the only full day of Coromandel Town.  The day was spectacular as there was very little in the way of cloud cover and I was up around 730 in the morning ready to walk into town and see the sights. I was off and one before my roommates were even awake. My first port of call was to have breakfast and I found that to be very satisfying, bacon and eggs with a coffee that would set me up for some of the day. By the time I ate I was rearing to go and hit the road with enthusiasm. The fuel cells had been filled and I was wanting to make my way to the Driving Creek Railway, which was hand built. More on that later..

I was still taking photos of the landscape that was Coromandel Town. It wasn’t much to see, but she is a pretty little town and I think I was up and moving before many of the tourists thought to unlock their car doors and take sleepy driving tours missing the unusual tourist attraction to their destinations. I was following some of the history to Coromandel as I was taking pictures of the older buildings in town on my way to the trainline. I did find some sheep that I was calling wifi sheep for the internet as a joke, because I was having so much trouble in Auckland with the internet as it kept cutting me off. That is my reason and I’m sticking to it. I like saying I found internet sheep that give us all internet signals. I was following my guide that I had picked up once I had eventually found the information centre. I had to pass most of the historic buildings on my way to the railway.

Some of the buildings I had walked past the day before including the Masonic lodge. I don’t care what people think about them as they were big deal in New Zealands past and you can find headstones all over the country with their symbol somewhere. People can give you conspiracy theories and all that, but I digress. I did find out that I was thinking the wrong thing when I seen a rusty sign for Fir Lawn House. I thought it meant the house had burnt and no entry. You couldn’t tell it was a historic house as the lawn was over grown, but today I did see the house, but it looked like it was falling apart and according to the guide fire damaged. The house was owned by a wealthy man called Frederick Wooliams in 1874. The Masonic house was built in 1898, which is Lodge 17 of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. I am only going to list some of the locations not all as my fingers would be tired. St Andrews Presbyterian Church was built in 1873 and the first one in the area of that denomination. I was fascinated by the former Coromandel Hospital as t was such a large building. It had been built in 1898 and closed in 1994, also for several years from the beginning staffed by the Sisters of Mercy. Outside of James Homestead I was nearly hit by a kid on a pushbike while I was looking in the guide and about to take a photo. All I was doing was standing in the one spot and I think I taught the kid a new word when he missed me my millimeters. I was angry at the kid for a couple of minutes before I let that go while wandering. The James Homestead had been built in the 1890s. Another thing I found was a drinking trough, which marked the site of the Tramways Hotel during the 1870s.

I found the pottery and trainline after I wandered up the Driving Creek Road. By this time I had walked pretty far and there would be plenty more walking in my day, but this wouldn’t be walking. I would be taking the train up the hill that was privately owned and had been worked on since the 1970s. The train would take you to a lookout that was called the Eyefull tower, which I later found I couldn’t walk to anymore from the bottom. The main function was to get the clay for the pottery stuff and was still being made today from the hills. I think its the only narrow gauge line in New Zealand and the lines were bought off the government, but now have to come from South Korea. The train takes you on a magical tour and is wonderful as you can see tunnels and sculptures made by potters who have visited. The Eyefull Tower does command really good views of Coromandel Town and the water. We did find out the owner had to open the line to the public through the bank orders as he had a little money issue he needed to sort out. The Coromandel ranges had been plentiful with Kauri and other trees in the 1800s, but logging and farming had wiped it all out including the native animals. Now it had been replanted with native plants, well the area owned by the pottery place.  The only problem now is its got a pest problem with possums and stoats, which is why there are no birdlife sounds. There are down the bottom in an enclosed area, but that is it. It was a great train ride especially when you find they make the trains as well and there were two trains running at the same time. The driver had to change the tracks himself, which shows the trans were not that big at all. Afterwards I decided to call into a cafe that was just down the road from the Driving Creek Railway for lunch and another coffee. I got free wifi too, which I took advantage of to see what was happening online.

After lunch, I headed to the one place I was wanting o visit and that was the Gold Stamper Battery. I knew you could get tours of the place and I turned up within the time frame for them to begin. Sadly I was the only one who was there and they were not going to do the tour with one person, but if there were several more they would. I got a talk about the mine and the mines in the area. I was surprised that the walk I had taken yesterday had man mines located throughout the area and was riddled with tunnels. One of the mines was where they dumped the waste into the sea, but half the gold went there too, so the group is going to be looking there soon. Gold mining between Australia and New Zealand began within a year or so of each other and the locations for gold being found that are marked happen to be in the wrong locations including at the Gold Stamper in Buffalo Road. I was told the storm the week before had flushed the rivers and you could still find little bits of gold and it was sill being found as there was something like 3 billion worth of gold in the area to be dug up. I did try my hand at panning for gold and only tried for near an hour before thinking I had seen too many rocks, though i could have seen gold and I think I seen specks, I don’t know what to do with it. I went down the hill wandering the cemetery though many others I have had more enjoyment out of it though I think the day was slowly getting to me. I didn’t find too much in the cemetery, but I didn’t mind it.

Off I went with the plan to head back into town and to the caravan park to get my clothes washed as I thought I would need them done before I left the next day. I wasn’t sure of what time I was getting the bus, but thought I better get breakfast from the supermarket just in case I would starve. I was following my map and seen a trail nearby called the Success Track. I thought this was pretty cool to walk up the track that I could make names out of Success and that was exactly what it was. I was going to join up with another track instead of ending up in the Coromandel Ranges. That never happened as I had some planning issues. I had missed the off shoot of the other train and ended up unwittingly following the Kaipawa track that would take me to Driving Creek Road near the railway. A 2 hour walk one way that I was taking and had my ipod for company too. The track wasn’t all smooth sailing as I did find several parts slippery especially with it going green and one part was partly washed out. I did get spectacular views of the coast and also ducking under fallen trees too. I found a strange sight, a tractor had been left up the hill and plants had grown around it though not far away where I was huffing and puffing I found a huge landslip that had taken the path away. This meant I had to turn around and go down the hill. Something I didn’t want to do, but had no choice. I kept on having small slips on the smooth clay, but as generally alright. I knew I had only a limited amount of time before I would have very little light left as it was late afternoon. I didn’t want to get stuck at night on the hill with no idea of whats in front of me other than trees. I did make it down though I was texting a friend back home telling them I was on the path to success. Its a slippery slope when you are on the path to success and your way may have obstacles and dead ends. I do like that one myself. I can be quite random in my aimless wanderings and can sometimes be out of my depth and dont even know it. I I had someone with me then I might not have made it as far as I had and they would have told me to go back

 I was happy once I got to the bottom, but I had no water left either so I might not have gone near the Ranges with its lack of birdcalls for a wander. I think it was well worth the trek though and by this time it was nearly 6pm at night and I was getting hungry. I stopped off for a sirloin steak for dinner as I wanted steak and had a beer with my dinner. I was chatting to the server lady about my walk and the landfall. She told me I should see the info centre, but she will anyway the next day as she is a regular to that track. She said I could have been the first one to walk it since the storms of last week. I did see some footprints in the mud that looked fresh, but might not have been. It was pointed out that there was another path and you would miss it if you were not looking. I had missed it and found it on my way down the hill. Its alright as I have been getting plenty of trekking done and I am not that healthy either.

The washing is done, I have been showered and wont be leaving for Thames until 11am tomorrow. I will be stopping at Whitianga for a little while for the next bus. I wonder if that will drop me off at the hostel? I think I am very lucky I never booked the hostel for the usual full two days as I think I would be hanging for one day and there are no ATMs for me to get cash. Not everyone here takes a credit card. I want o stay in Whitianga next time for several days just to do the touristy stuff like Cathedral Rock tour by boat. I thought it was funny to be talking to a bloke who liked my marine rescue hat, while waiting for the train. He was impressed I am a marine rescue person in their 10th year of service. I am also alone in my room for the night, woohoo no one else other than a cold bed that will be heated up anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment