Saturday, October 5, 2013

Day 12 Whirlwind to Tauranga






Day 12  Whirlwind to Tauranga

The days isn’t too bad other than this time being overcast and that does mean when I do walk with the bag on my back like a turtle I wont get stuck and sweat in the heat too much. On checking out I found the mine I wanted a tour on was not reliable with their opening times as the town of Thames is becoming embarrassed to even promote them. That does tell you alot and I had missed another stamper battery mine in my wanderings, but I vow I will be back in Thames as I really do like the town and I have seen some of the tourist sights already, but not all. The town did start off as little towns like Grahams town, but grew with the gold being discovered.

The walk wasn’t too bad really. I thought it would be a hard slog through the streets and I did partially pass through the markets. I didn’t mind the walk at all and had plenty of time to have a coffee and pie before heading back out to catch the bus to Tauranga. The trip to the city was interesting and the views were pretty good. Refreshment stop was at Paeroa, which is famous for the drink L&P, which is made out of their water or something like that. I did wander and find a working pump that I think is to show how they got water out of the ground. I did see rail trails people were riding their bikes on and thought I would have to try them out sometime as some of the sights on the other side of the river had my interest. I think i would have seen more mining towns than I had thought I would have.

Once we arrived in Tauranga I found it pretty easy finding my way to the hostel. At first I thought I was lost and realised I had turned myself around, but was off in the right direction. My street directory did help with getting me around as it was easy to follow to the hostel and I had it marked on the map from the information centre as well, so I could choose the right path I wanted. Once at the hostel I had found they had not everything cleaned just yet as it was only midday. Also I could lock up my stuff and come back later and I was promised that I would have a washing machine free to wash my stuff as I was out of clothes. My plan after sorting everything out and getting my own locker was to head into Mt Maunganui  for the kiwiRail 150 year exhibition and I was limited for time. The map I had been given was only good for the city and there was no ideas to if I could cross the bridge. I did take a punt and walk along the main highway to the bridge where it ended up being a little confusing as I was twisted around different streets though I could have taken a direct route if I had come from another direction. I did stop at what I thought might be the location of a mission cemetery, which is the oldest in Tauranga and missing some graves as it was part of some mission and has monuments to some of the local maori. I did look at this once I had been on my return trip.

The walk to the kiwi rail thing was longer than I thought it was and on the way I did see a bike just like mine stop at traffic lights. Another can am Spyder with passenger. I did have doubts that I had the wrong location to the exhibition and I had missed lunch as well in my haste to get to see what the 150 years of rail was like. I did find the exhibition alright and I found they had actual train and carriages too. The carriages were the usual ones you see when you end up on the rail journeys and they had four others that showed you different areas like the history of different trains, safety around the tracks and different locations the lines went to. I did have something to eat and bought a train calendar for next year. I was allowed to sit inside the drivers seat of a train too and it was very comfortable. They have all sorts of technology from esky, microwave and somewhere to store your coffee too and it was really quiet inside as the engines were running. When I did leave a security lady was laughing at my shirt since I was wearing my God’s busy can I help shirt. She was going hes evil and I like the shirt. Hehehe.

The walk back was a little brisk and I was running out of energy and had to stop when I had reached the cemetery, I read a book for around 10 minutes and had a good drink too. I think the heat got to me especially when I was wearing trousers. I did take the walk through the cemetery while keeping an eye on the sky as in the distance it looked as though it was going to rain. I took another direction to the hostel as I was wondering about the ferry times and I actually found no ferry. I don’t know why they were advertised in certain places other than water tours. I did find my way to the hostel and spent time there doing the washing I had to do. I was able to check in and I could get 48 hours of internet that will last me until I leave Tauranga for Hamilton. I am also going to catch the bus in the morning to head into town so I don’t have to do so much walking. Maybe that will help me. I am hoping it is not going to be raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment