Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 13. Whirling through Tauranga






Day 13. Whirling through Tauranga

Today I thought would be one of those wet days where I would need a jumper and my wet weather gear. Turns out the clouds even though they were dark didn’t once splatter anything onto the ground where my feet touched the ground. I was happy especially when it ended up being a pretty warm day overall. I couldn’t complain as it was very warm when you are out and about walking.

I woke up early so that I would be able to catch one of the busses, which travels to the area of Mt Maunganui. I did want to climb the mountain though it was a big hill and I think also one of the local Pa sites. The bus cost me $3 each way and was well worth the expense as I think I would be exhausted if I tried walking around 3kms one way. At least I was able to get close enough so that I could walk to the beach. I did need breakfast and a coffee before I went anywhere. After fulfilling the two basic needs I headed down the street towards Mount Maunganui, I did learn the town was going to have a busking festival on during the day. The first place I came to was something called Mount Drury or Hopukiore. From the top of this small hill I hoped I could have a great view of Mount Maunganui and also some of the tow. There was no such luck, but I did get a good view of a container ship cruise by on the other side of town, which I thought was pretty cool. I mean I did get views, but trees were in the way so not everything was unrestricted.

Once on the beach side of town the surf wasn’t pumping at all, which was good for me as I wanted to checkout what was considered to be an island, but its still connected to the land by sand. Moturiki Island also once known as Leisure Island was at one point was a water park where they had dolphins and sea lions, but had closed. I walked out along the sand and was about to take a step on the wet sand when some sea water rushed around the sand. I did put on boot in, but didn’t want wet feet so waited until the water was gone before crossing. I did walk to the other side of the small island with the worry on my mind that I shouldn’t take too long in case I got caught with the tide as I don’t know how much water would be around the island and I didn’t want to take my boots off either. I didn’t really want to climb over an outcrop of rocks on the end of the island either in case I slipped, but nothing happened and I was able to cross safely to the mainland. I would love to walk across St Michaels Mount in the UK the same way at low tide. My next challenge was to climb Mount Maunganui before it became too hot, although people were out and about in droves early in the morning.

I wasn’t sure about which side of the mountain that I would walk up as I knew there were several paths to go up the hill. On my way to the track I found the base track was 3kms all the way round and I wasn’t wanting to do that as I wanted to go up. I was actually struggling getting up some of the track as it was steep. The good news was that there was a sign telling you which track to take and the choice was either difficult or intermediate. I chose the intermediate track to go up, which seemed easier until I came to the 4X4 track and then it became steeper. It wasn’t too bad, but I was sweating and the day had started to become a bit warmer. I was happy when I did make it to the top though I drained the water I had left and sat in the shade and read my book that I had in my bag with wet weather gear. I needed to rest for a little bit before moving off though the wind did help as it was cool. Apparently a beacon had been light on the hill in 1919 called the beacon of peace hand had been answered by several others. I think the area was also a pa as well. After taking photos from the top, I took the difficult trail down and it did mean difficult as there was a set of very steep stairs that I walked down, but some people were jogging up them I think they were insane. Once at the bottom I was going to catch the bus, but decided to take a wander to the marina. I didn’t get that far when I found a map with information of Maunganui. Around the base were two things I wanted to see and visit them I did. The first was the original stone jetty for when settlers dropped off goods though it didn’t look like much and the statue of Tangaroa.

By the time I walked back I had decided I needed some food, so wandered through the people looking at the busker competition. I did enjoy some of it and a few of the kids were pretty good. I thought it was strange that the only buskers that were performing were all kids. After lunch I wandered to the bus and it was only 5 mins before I caught it back to town, which was easier than trying to take a wander.  Once back in the CBD I wanted he have a look at an arch I had missed the day before and on my way I found the old building that was the post office, which I later found was on the list of historic things to see in town. I did find a waka that had been donated to the city in the 1970s. I didn’t walk towards the arch as I had found a building that was interesting and happened to be an old storage shed I think it was and something very unexpected behind the police station was the Monmouth Redoubt, which was used as protection against the Maori in the 1860s. The arch I had found was named after a wealthy business person, Sir William Herris. There were signs pointing out the hidden histories to the area, but I was heading towards a park called Memorial park and the plan was to visit a historic street.

On my way to the Memorial Park, I was side tracked by a railway bridge walkway. I decided to walk across the railway bridge via the walk way though on the other side I turned around as I don’t know what was expecting and wasn’t expecting anything to be very far away. At least I worked out what was on the other side. I had to walk up some stairs once I was back across the bridge into a carpark, which ran near the street I wanted to take to the park. It did seem to be a long walk, but didn’t take too much time. I was interested by a sign that said Cedar Manor, but thought I would check this out later on my way home. I found Humpty Dumpty who was 50 years old in the park, which was pretty cool. The park also had miniature trains too and for $1 you could go for a ride. I kept on walking and went looking for the historic street. I thought the street was on 15th Avenue and once I found it there was nothing historic about it and I walked the entire length to make sure I hadn’t overlooked it. I found nothing and by this time it was getting late and I was exhausted. I wandered through the park again as I wanted to see what the Cedar Manor was all about. I was disappointed as it turned out to be nothing historic, but a retirement village. Fancy that and here I was thinking it was a big house made out of cedar.


Once I made it back to the hostel I knew I needed to rest and take my boots off as I had been out in the sun all day. I think I have gotten a little bit of a suntan too. I had to look up why I couldn’t find the historic village on a street. I found it was on 17th avenue and I hadn’t walked far enough at all. That didn’t bother me as I was wearing myself out and will have something to do when I come back someday. Tomorrow I am off to Hamilton, the second last stop of my trip before I end up going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment