Friday, September 27, 2013

Day 4 Whirlwind tour in Whangarei







Day 4 Whirlwind tour in Whangarei

Today I thought would be a little bit cooler and I was planning to give Claude the day off from driving me around the country side. I did sleep in though considering the time difference with home I have gotten up early and that includes when daylight savings does appear sometime this weekend with a big boot. I did end up with my jumper around my waist the entire time and I was wearing trousers too.

The walk I went on was truly random as I was wanting to look at Whangarei falls and then head along a path. I was wearing my hat and had my ipod, which I listened to the entire time I was walking. The falls I thought would be going really well after all the rain we have had and I was getting wet with the mist from it as I never really do have that happen on my last few trips to New Zealand and to this area. A path I knew about was something I wanted to walk and I always wondered where it ends. I ended up at another waterfall that was an old quarry and now the A.H. Reed memorial park. I found that there was a homestead across the park well was one that was there owned by A.H. Reed. I think he was prominent person in the town during the early years of Whangarei. I should check to see if he pops up again sometime. My boots did get a little dirty with the mud and there were not many people hiking around the area. Might not be as popular as going to The Hokianga to visit Tane Mahuta. It took me several hours before I went back to granny’s place and I had a quick pie for lunch with a drink at the Dairy.

Since it was granny’s birthday and her 80th, I was going out with them to a restaurant called Gengy's. How it worked was you chose the meat, then the vegies, then the sauces and the oils after. The last bit you can add ginger, olives, garlic, salt etc. Its all you can eat and my cholesterol will go kaboom! The last time I went up I drowned it in soy sauce and garlic oil. The chef who then cooks it looks at me and I laughed. He did have to wipe his arms down and tools too Brad will fart garlic gas....... Experimentation for the guy who cant smell or taste. I suppose I will pay for this tomorrow. Seems in those restaurants you do not drink soup out of the bowl as there is the need for a spoon although the bowl does happen to have two little handles for that use. Confused, but not worried I am. Who am I to argue with the lady who shows us our seats. I do like how she explained how to sort out our food. I think I will be going for another hike out to another place tomorrow, which should do me all the good in the world to get back into walking. Mum told me where to go when i spoke to skype, but I didn’t know I could walk from where I am currently located. Now that will get me to all sorts of places.

Something I did learn to do was to use an ereader though plugging in a kobo into an Apple Mac is to me a pain in the butt as I have no idea how to borrow books properly, but I do think the reader will help immensely with book space and my tendency to buy books, but I really doubt that idea. I still love the physical book. I worked out a long way to help my grandparents and that should work, but I am used to doing things on a PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment