Tuesday, August 16, 2022

New Zealand 2022 Day 4 Kerikeri wandering



By the numbers

1 car

8,113 steps

5.9 kms

 

The day came that we were going to complete part of our planned outing out to Kerikeri with the hope that the forecast rain wouldn’t hit us earlier than the predicted afternoon. We did leave early enough to drive out that way so that we would have enough time before meeting other family in the Kerikeri area. We did have a stop along the way out to Kerikeri as we needed a pit stop in Kawakawa before heading off. There is something with the Kiwis who are lead foots over here. It is like the speed limit is only a recommendation, while they wait until an over taking lane as everything from a horse trailer to a truck speeds past like you are sitting still.

 

The good news was I seemed to be the navigator as I was using Google maps without the data shock that would kick my butt. Places I had previously looked at showed up and I could direct mum, who was driving where to go. The first stop was the Makana chocolate store, where they made the chocolate there. You could watch behind the glass and because they made it in store, which was my they had a use by date. There was plenty of range to buy and it was the choosing what to buy was the problem. After that we headed to the next door Kauri workshop where there were plenty of wooden products including a table with the price tag of $20 grand. I ended up with several things on the cheaper scale. The chocolate factory did have a cafe, but that was closed for the time being, so we had something across the road at the Old Packhouse, where I ended up with a short black. That made a buzzing sound instead of the usual long black.

After our little stop, we headed for the Rainbow Fall, where I wanted to check out a waterfall that was close to the carpark for mum and Claude. Google map showed how far we needed to go and we kinda went in the wrong entry way, but I wont say anything as it was the navigator’s fault we did that. I moved on ahead, while mum and Claude caught up. There were two close enough lookouts for the waterfall that we all had a look at, and then they returned to the car when I walked down the steep path to the base of the falls and walked some of the bush track. I didn’t want to go too far as I didn’t want to leave the other to be waiting too long for me. The next destination was the Stone Store. I wandered across the bridge, while mum and Claude relaxed in the car. I think I would have worn them out if they attempted to follow me around. The area had changed a bit since I was first there especially with the Maori Pa now being sign posted. I was hoping not to get caught out when it rained, but the weather was not there yet as I headed around the historic Stone store and Kemp House that was all part of the mission settlement in the area during the 1800s in early New Zealand. The Anglican church had three incarnations as two were destroyed at the last one had been built in the 1870s. I didn’t want to take too long as people again were waiting on me and we did have other places to visit.

 

We were on our way to see a cousin, Brian who lived nearby, but we stopped for a bite to eat in Waipapa. While we were not there for long the next stop was pretty important as we stopped off at the winery on the Sovrano Estate for the Limoncello. There could have been wine tasting involved, but we did not have the time for that. By this time the rain was trying to settle in and we headed up the hill to the farm. By the time we got there and left the rain was slowly getting worse, but the strange thing was when we reached Kawakawa the rain had stopped for a little bit. We wanted to be back at home by dark as we were not used to the roads in the dark and you never know what the local drivers were like as they were more lead footed in the afternoon as well as any other time of the day. There is one thing I really like about New Zealand and its the shops that are known as Tiki Roasts, though not all of them go by that name, I would say they have some really great roasts, which are better than maccas or even KFC. You can bring home a decent roast meal that will fill you for the night.

 

I am slowly chipping away at the list of places I am wanting to visit on the two weeks we have in Whangarei. Some places we have visited before and others we have not been to. It is always interesting to see how these places have changed over the years or stayed the same.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment