Wednesday, August 24, 2022

New Zealand 2022: Day 12 Tutukaka and Ngunguru



By the numbers

1.22 kms

1680 steps

 

The morning was fair enough to put washing out, although I thought it might fine up, but it was cloudy and cold all day. There was a plan as we were going out for a drive for lunch out to Tutukaka. That is along the coast not far from Whangarei.

 

We were picked up and driven out to Tutukaka, which is on the coast and where the boats usually leave for the Poor Knights Islands just off the coast. The drive wasn’t too bad and got to see plenty of the rock walls that are heritage listed as they were built during the early days when Whangarei was being established. Tutukaka was earlier this year hit by the Tsunami that came from the Tongan volcano that exploded. The surge hit the marina causing some damage. We were meant to get something to eat at Snappa Rocks, but it was closed for renos. I wanted to eat there as I live near the Snapper Rocks. It wasn’t meant to be.

 

Instead we drive around to Ngunguru instead for something to eat. There is actually a school that is right on the river, so the beautiful views would be distracting. I managed to have a burger at a local cafe with mum, Claude and her friend, Donna. We did see someone riding a horse through town. It looked like a great area to spend exploring even though we were not there for long, and at the time the tide was out.

 

After we were dropped off we had another appointment this time with family on a farm for dinner, so I didn’t go anywhere apart from get the now cold dry washing off the line. Real exciting day. I spent time exploring the internet and when we arrived for dinner we exchanged family history info. I could say I caught up on some Anime that I have been watching as I can use the streaming service in NZ. It was great to catch up with family that I hadn’t caught up with for a while. Tends to be better when you have mum with you as she tends to be the one who knows everyone better, so what can I really say here.

 

The days are rolling by pretty quickly as we will soon be going home as the holiday is nearly over.

No comments:

Post a Comment