Saturday, April 2, 2022

Southern Tour Day 7: Traversing to Launceston



By the numbers

1 bus

12.04 kms

15,957 steps

 

I had no sore head when I got up, but I had been listening to the church bells going off, or was the bell for the Town Hall. It doesn’t matter since every now and again I could hear bells and they don’t seem to be doing on the half hour or the hour. I styill had my sandwiches in the fridge and all I wanted to do was go and get a coffee. Once that was sorted I made sure my bags were packed and then went to fill my water bottle. I tried to enter my room, but my digital key decided now was the time to vanish from the app. I went to the girl at the counter to let her know and she gave me the door code that I had not realised I could enter. Never worked, until she used the master key to let me back in. I found this to be a very strange error or the system become trigger happy and got bored by kicking me out of my room with everything in there. 5 mins later I was walking up the road to the bus stop

 

I turned up to the transit centre and it was closed. I was a couple of minutes early and soon learnt I did have to let the lady at the counter know I was there and she gave me a tag for Launceston. Then the driver wanted my name when I hopped on. I ended up with a teen next to me so I had several of the skater boys around me. They were good kids, but one of them was funny when saying his dad didn’t believe him that he was going to Launceston to skate at the skate parks, but was doing drugs. If they knew where the skate parks were in the area then they are likely doing what they are saying they are doing. On the way through Hobart and outer suburbs, I noticed the cycleway I had walked along as we followed that some of the way out of town. I should check out the map for another trip away and to hire a pushy. I for some reason don’t half mind Hobart and the people are polite. Along the way there were quite a few housed that looked like sandstone manors, but couldn’t get good photos of them as they all seem to have long driveways surrounded by trees and the bus was going too fast.

 

The bus showed up in Hobart quicker than I had thought. I soon found that the same bus was going to Devonport. I was happy to get off and use the loo. The hotel where I am staying is just around the corner of the transit centre and why I chose to stay there for two nights. Lets say the Sebel is pretty good. I walked in and was told my room wasn’t ready yet, so I was able to get my bags put into storage. I grabbed several things I wanted and walked off. I headed towards the Boags Brewery built in 1883 as it basically took up a whole block. I didn’t sort out a tour as I was doing other things I wanted to do. I wasn’t going to walk to the City park as I going to head back to where I was staying to see if the room was ready. Somehow I ended up at the park and checked out the monkeys and the flowers. Once I returned to the hotel I was able to check in and soon found I had a surprising nice room and it was like I was a business person.

 

After dropping my things in the room I headed towards the Cataract Gorge as I knew it would be a decent walk and get to explore the Launceston area. I think the last time I was here back in 2000, I was dropped off at the carpark near the gorge. I could have gone on the other walks, but the sun was starting to go down and the gorge area was starting to get a little chilly in the late afternoon. Some guy I have no idea if he was drinking or not was walking with his family yells out to me as I walk past. Several of the walks were either an hour one way or recommended for hikers only. With the time it was I could end up getting stuck on dusk and that would not be a good idea. Returning back into Launceston seemed to be quicker than I had thought. The city of Launceston did seem pretty deserted late afternoon on a Saturday. It was pretty strange really with a very deserted town. I was expecting tumbleweeds as very few people were wandering around.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment