Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Southern Tour Day 10: Melbourne makes an appearance



By the numbers

14.32 kms

18,874 steps

I managed to sleep on the boat without any problems even though there was rocking and the engine vibrations. I think its worth taking the ferry over night as the time went quickly. I actually woke at 530am wondering why there had not been an announcement and wandered out wondering what was going on. Turns out we hadn’t quite docked yet and I found coffee and sandwiches that would do me for a bit. It wasn’t long before we were told we could depart and to leave the doors open to the cabins. I was happy to leave though the weather in Melbourne was overcast and that wasn’t what I wanted, but made a difference for Devonport where I got sunburnt funnily enough. Sunburnt in Tasmania, what really?

 

Getting off wasn’t that bad and I had to pick up my bag and it seemed there were few walk offs as everyone had vehicles. I had to show my ticket stub for my bag to prove it was me. Then I found a tram, which was easy to catch. Though the problem was now once I found the hostel was to wait 40 mins for it to open so I could sort myself out. I had a wander before returning and since I couldn’t check in at the time, I was allowed to put a load of washing on, which was great news. We shall ignore I wasn’t paying attention and loaded a dryer instead. It didn’t take very liong to get the washing done and then I had my bags down at reception where the chick had forgotten who I was and tried to check me out. She realised soon enough and I was on my way, although not too far as I could check in at 1pm.

 

The place I visited was the Immigration museum and that was a touch confusing at first as I didn’t know the mask rules and still don’t really know them. They wanted to see if I was vaccinated before heading in. The Immigration museum was in the old Customs House that sorts out the customs for goods coming from other countries since around the 1800s. It also handled immigration if I am correct. The immigration side of the museum told the tale of how people came to Australia and it was for different reasons including asylum being only one. Weather events in different parts of the world happened to be another. A display at the start had different types of travel like steam ship or aircraft and how long it took including the route to end up in Melbourne. There were individual stories from some of the people who came to call Australia home and the issues they had living in some of the towns. There were immigration issues like the White Australia policy, taxes on certain races and the dictation tests and even the modern issues like the Tampa. I had thought the kids were on holidays, but school is still in. The top floor was all about people trying to find their identity and how they fit into the world through their own views or how others viewed them.

 

I had gotten hungry so grabbed some food and headed back to the hostel where I was starting to feel a touch tired and needed a rest. I soon found I have front row seats to the train and tram show out the front. It shouldn’t be that bad as I will be sleeping when they are not running. I did head out towards where a show I was going to watch at a Theatre.. I was going to watch Hamilton at Her Majesty’s Theatre. Along the way I found a really nice bank that was a historic building. Inside and out the architecture was impressive. Close to the threatre I had my wallet get tangled with several things in the same pocket and I noticed my drivers license was gone. I took off back to the hostel as I thought that was where I left it. Halfway back I had a look in my pocket again and the drivers license was there. It had tangled in cables as I had my powerbank in the same pocket. Crisis averted I walked back to the theatre in relief. I did make it with plenty of time to spare. I was happy to see the show and enjoyed watching it. I don’t know anything about Alexander Hamilton, but he did seem to be an interesting character in the US history. When the show finished I had to navigate myself around all the people milling out the front and headed to a tram stop. I was going to catch a tram, but the one I was still meant I had to walk part of the way. I decided it was quicker just to walk the entire way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment