Saturday, April 9, 2022

Southern Tour day 14: Journey home

 


 

By the numbers

4.68 kms

6,204 steps

 

I had to get up in the early AM as is 4am to catch the 5am bus from Southern Cross station to the airport. The plan changed slightly as I found myself on the 445 bus to the city and it was raining. One of the reasons I wanted to be at the airport so early was the same reason Sydney was having trouble with people in the airport. I didn’t want to get stuck in long lines and end up being late for anything. All was good as I printed off my bag tag only for the bag drop to reject the bag as I was 10 mins early for the bag drop. I had to wait another 10 mins and then try again. This time the bag was rejected again, not once, but twice as the conveyor belt had issues. The first time I had jinxed it when talking to the Jetstar lady. The second time I said I wasn’t going to jinx myself. The bag did go and I was worried because of the issues the bag would not reach its destination.

 

The line for the security was long, but moved pretty smoothly and wasn’t long before I was through and getting something to eat for breakfast. I had ordered something on the plane, but still wanted to eat before my flight and I had 40 mins before the gate opened. I waited until it opened and it was gate 12, which wasn’t far at all. Turns out once we boarded the plane it was a bigger aircraft heading to the Gold Coast with a centre row. It wasn’t that long of a flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and I was happy once I had landed. It had been apparently raining when we walked off the plane and into the terminal. At that stage it was dry.

 

There did seem to be changes at the airport and the Gold Coast airport was busy, but I didn’t really notice many changes just yet. We had to walk from one end of the terminal to the other just to get to baggage claim. That was a long walk. There were two Jetstar planes on the list for the baggage to come round and I became worried as I seen a guy with a green bag just like mine with the tag in a similar place. The only difference was there had been no NZ customs dog tag, and his flight was likely Sydney. I very nearly stopped him, but didn’t. Turns out it was the best idea I have ever had as more bags came round and my one wasn’t that far off. Outside the terminal doors, it was raining like nothing ever happened.

 

The end of one trip means there is another one planned for August where I will head to New Zealand for two weeks. This time with family, so I don’t know what will happen just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment