Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Southern Tour Day 11 Melbourne Fingerbuns



By the numbers

11,361 steps

8.52kms

I could hear the trains in the early morning, although it was like an alarm clock waking me up anyway. The alarm clock that rumbles past and with an added ding ding of the tram. At least that stopped not long after midnight had to make it myself at the convenience store, but it was a small coffee so it didn’t matter. Once I had something to eat and drink I was off again to catch a train to Oakleigh to meet up with a Melbournite friend.

 

I was meeting up with Margie and Chris from the city as I had known them for quite a while and when I arrived in the suburb of Oakleigh, I stopped off to buy some shorts I had noticed at Lowes. I ended up buying two pairs and when trying them on walking through the store in my socks though I put my shorts back on. Same brand two different sizes as the sizing didn’t match and it was weird. Not long after I found fingerbuns at the bakery and all was well with the world. Of course I ended up with one for the road as they are Fingerbuns.I soon met up with Margie and Chris though I didn’t have any plans for the day. The good thing was that my plannless day had a turn of events that included coffee, meeting a strange woman in the male toilets washing her hands, although I was shocked I never questioned her. She was at least wearing a mask so that was something.

 

While catching up with some coffee, we decided to check out the Brighton cemetery, though one place we looked up Ripponlea turned out it would be a touch expensive, but at least the entry to the cemetery was cheap. There were some people of note to the area and while wondering who they were, I started Googling their names and turns out they were noteworthy people including the owner of newspapers, a secretary of a travellers association and a few others who had come from far and wide in society. After a little time in the cemetery we ended back on Oakleigh for coffee where we ended up having an interesting conversation with a Greek guy who was a blast from the past for Margie. He was interesting and had an interesting moustache, but being a Greek in a Greek community I had to think of the guys in the movie ‘My big fat Greek wedding’, just Windex wasn’t mentioned at this stage of the relationship, but someone with a Greek accent swearing was funny. Mind you I couldn’t quite tell if I heard him swear, but he did.

 

Not long afterwards we parted ways with me staying in Oakleigh fore a touch longer to visit the heritage precinct to see the old cemetery now park. I had to walk through the cafe area with music going full blast and you could tell the people were locals except for me as I stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn’t wander around the park for very long as I wanted to get back to the city before the peak hour kicked off and I wanted to visit a certain shop in the city. It didn’t take long to get back into the city via the city loop, and I had to drop my shorts off before jumping onto a tram for the journey to where Minotaur pop culture store was located. Its an institution in Melbourne and I always visit for interesting things. Once I had looked around, I was off back into the part of the city I was located. Along the way I found the cross walks to light up when telling people to cross or not with the usual colours just in case you were not paying attention. I have to remember DST is finished so it gets dark quicker than usual.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment