Thursday, July 1, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 5 Airlie Beach chilling

 


By the numbers

11.92kms

15921 steps

 

I had planned on visiting Hamilton Island and was going to head there, but decided I did not want to pay the $60 return ticket. It was something like that and I wanted to get some washing done before I headed off to my next destination tomorrow. With that in mind I thought it would be better to have a nice and relaxing day without having to be anywhere. In fact that turned out to be a great plan. It was actually raining when I went out to get some breakfast and while I sat there eating and watching the rain. I did have a plan to look for a Laundromat as I thought I couldn’t use the one at the hostel until 1pm. I found it in a sad little shopping arcade that was mostly closed shops except for itself and one other store. I am sure I had been in there once before, but I cant remember how much the area has changed.

 

I returned to the hostel and asked if I could use the washing machines early and got told to go ahead, which I did. Not only did I not need to go very far, but I was happy to sit and relax with a book at the hostel without getting wet. Once it was all done, there was another little job that I wanted to complete and that was a haircut. I started with Google maps and one place couldn’t fit me in until midday, another I didn’t want to go near as it was a womans spa, and the final one I came across had nothing going on. I went from entering to getting my hair cut right there. My hair was getting to that point where I really did need a cut and that was another job done. I then took a walk to where the Airlie Creek bush walk was at the top of town. Turns out the trail has four grades that changes and takes an hour to return. I walked to where it started to become rough and turned back as I didn’t know how slippery the surface would get specially on the rocks..

 

Down the hill I went and a quick look in Woolworths, where I found they had hot food like hot chicken chips and even sandwiches. I grabbed a drink and chicken chips before heading to the beach to sit and watch the ocean. There were plenty of people walking about, although not as busy being school holidays, maybe I have missed half the people, or they were stuck elsewhere. I was catching up on the news too and seeing what was happening in the state. Then once I was ready to head back, I headed back to the room and did some packing so I wouldn’t be stuck with rushing to get it all done especially after my bags were spread around. I did go out and buy a magnet and a new shirt with shorts, so I would have extras, but there was one I wanted, but they had no short sleeved ones.

 

After another stop to read my book in the room, I wandered to where the caravan park was, where I had first stayed after getting fired from the job on Hamilton Island. The learning exeperience as to why you don’t take so much gear with you. Not that I knew then I would be a casual that was disposable once my usefulness ended. The caravan park was still at the same location, but under a different name. It did seem to be further out of town, although I do remember it being a fair walk the last time. Pretty sure there wasn’t a Woolworths in Airlie back then either. There wasn’t a cruise terminal either way back when I was staying there as it was only Schute Harbour then. Around the caravan park, I turned back and headed back to Airlie where I found a bookshop on my Map of Googles. I wanted to have a quick look before it closed and had another look around the general area. I looked up the shop to do with the shirt I wanted and found only the long sleeve, so I got that and headed back to my room to read a book. I didn’t buy a book as there was only 10 mins before the shop closed. I read for a little bit before heading out to get some food as I was hungry after having a light lunch.

 

We shall see what tomorrow offers with going to Townsville with what is happening there, so it should be interesting to see what happens. Apparently everything from the weekend onwards will be up and running, so I should be alright with what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment