Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 10 Cairns or Bust

 


By the numbers

1 bus

1 mask

12.1 km

15869 steps

 

The day had come that I would be on the last leg of my journey north as I would be heading to Cairns for the first time since 1987. I ate a quick breakfast just on daylight and then got wandering to wards the bus stop after handing my key in just before the office opened. At least now I know I can do that with my key as I didn’t know before. I was going to leave it in my room. I soon now that I would have to wear a mask on the bus as soon as I walked up as there were other people wearing them. I only put mine on when the driver turned up wearing his. I would have to wear a mask for the entire trip to Cairns.

 

Nearly everyone on the bus was going to Cairns, although one guy was somehow going to Darwin for work in IT. I have no idea if he would have to fly from Cairns, or get the bus as that would be a crazy long trip. The seat where I was had a window covering, when you looked into the bus from the other side it was an advertisement covering the windows all the way to the back. Heading north we headed for our rest stop part way in Cardwell, where we parked outside a servo. The driver told me not to eat the food there as there was better food elsewhere in town. I would have liked to see more of the town especially the bush telegraph building. While I scoffed down my chips, I had a quick wander along the waterfront before returning to the bus. The bus then headed north and through Tully where it was raining and the sugar cane was being processed. We did stop near Mission Beach where people got into the bus and kept on heading north. By the time we reached Cairns the weather was still cloudy. I was wearing long sleeves as I didn’t want to get sunburnt as I had for the last two days. That is the most annoying part knowing you have been burnt, but making sure you don’t get hit any more.

 

Cairns pulled up and it turned out that no one here were wearing masks unlike Townsville where we had to wear a mask each time we entered a shop. Once I was off the bus, I was able to leave the mask off. I keep it in my bag in case I do need it or it is required. Check in app, yes but the mask no where to be seen. I soon learnt how far the hostel was to where I was dropped off by the bus as it was something like a 10 min walk. I walked into the hostel and I do have air con, but I was happy for that. Once I dropped off my stuff, I went to look for the train station, where I booked my train to Karanda with a sky rail journey too. The funny thing is I will be at the Sky rail tomorrow when I end up at the tank museum. From the station in the middle of Cairns to next door where the shopping centre was connected. Apparently I needed cash money for the bus and my banks ATM refused to give me money, like it was empty, and it was inside the bank. I had to find another ATM. Randomly walking out an exit, I headed for the Lagoon area of Cairns, where I found where all the people were. They were either swimming, or sunbaking at the lagoon area. The tide looked to be way out at the water as there were mudflats. Seems the local wildlife ate at the mudflats with migratory birds from far overseas. Turning towards the hostel, I wandered back via the Aquarium as I could tell it was starting to get dark and I didn’t want to get caught out without getting food on the way back. I did bring food back with me, but I was back to the get food whenever, but I shall check out the local Coles to see what they have. My museli bars do go a little way, but not that far.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment