Monday, July 5, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 9 Wandering Townsville


By the numbers

15.23 kms

20190 steps

 

I did plan to take today as an easy day where I did not have to walk very far at all. I did see that Townsville had an old fortification and it was only a 20 or so min walk from where I am staying. I had the idea in my head that I would be back at the motel room within the next hour or so. That plan might not actually have occurred like that as everyone who knows me and read my blogs so far would know I will just end up anywhere. Instead of wearing a cap, today I wore a bucket hat as I knew it would cover my skull even though I was worried about the wind blowing it off.

 

I began walking along The Strand heading north as I had seen the south every other time so far. There were plenty of people walking around and I had that feeling, I usually do that I wanted another coffee. There was a fortification at one end that I wanted to have a good look at, but I found The Strand to be pretty busy and there were different art works all along it and also information panels about UV suntans and more about the stingers that you have to watch out for. I found the lagoon at the end of The Strand just below Kissing Point. I did a lap of the lagoon before stopping for a coffee. I was laughing into my mask when my card didn’t work, but the girl wiped down the machine and then there was the familiar beep. I took my coffee for a short walk before I sat in the shade to drink it, and that included dribbling it down my shirt as well.

Taking what I thought to be an easy set of stairs to the top of Kissing Point, which was part of the Jezzine Barracks area. Turns out these steps were my friendly grade 3 level, but not as bad as the Castle Hill set that I encountered several days ago. Once at the top I came across information about the history of the old colonial fort that wasn’t as beautiful as the Fort Takapuna in Auckland. The fortification were upgraded and used right up to World War 2. The Strand beach area were also part of the landing area for the American equipment including people. There was a dedication to the American service people with a map of the battle of Coral Sea on the ground showing you where the Allies and Japanese forces were coming from. They had some of the old guns from the colonial period too including one that was upgraded, but had to be sent back to England and returned. There were plenty of people walking through this area as it seemed to be well used. Just below the fort were soldier barracks that might not be the originals, but now being used for other purposes like an art gallery. The Queensland Army Museum was just across from me and they were either closed on Mondays, or because of Covid they were permanently closed. I don’t know yet.

 

Deciding to keep walking I walked as far as the Big 4 caravan park around Rose Bay, passing some mud skippers along the way. I stopped to watch them, while finding sand flies, or they found me. Those little guys move fast, but I waited until they came out of hiding. I ended up taking a walk to the local cemetery as it was not very far away from where I was. I didn’t stay in the cemetery for very long although I got some photos and had a look at the historic section that warned me about snakes and goannas. I was trying to stay in the shade for most of the walk, but I think I felt loads better than I might be redder than I was before this morning. It was actually mid afternoon by the timer I returned after getting a cold drink that I could sit back and drink. I decided to chill inside for the rest of the afternoon with my cold non alcoholic drink.

 

Tuesday is my next lift off for my last destination that is Cairns. I am going by bus again and see what happens when I arrive. I do have a plan to book the train for a trip to Karanda and should find out if I need money.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment