Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Queensland wandering boots: Day 4 cruising Whitsundays

 


By the numbers

1 boat11.3 kms walking

15437 steps

 

The day was still a little bit windy and cloudy, although the weather site said it would be clearing and I was hoping that it would. I would be out on a boat all day as part of a tour to some of the Whitsunday islands. Being my birthday, I thought this would be a great idea and I was going to have breakfast at the cafe where we were meant to meet up, although as usual I got there with enough time to eat and go for a wander before returning to check in before the boat left.

I got the middle row to myself even though it was a full boat and I was thinking along the way to Chalkies Beach where we would have out first stop to go snorkelling that I might not want to try that as there waas the wind chill factor to think about once I got out of the water. I didn’t want to have a cold when I reached Townsville or else there might be problems with the city having issues at the moment. On the way I was reading a book quite happily as there were people grabbing seasick bags to have a technicolour yawn and hand them back to dispose of to the crew. I wasn’t feeling ill at all even with the boat rocking and rolling against the swell and wind. I should say I wasn’t bothered by it at all and people did notice me reading especially the crew. It took around an hour to get to our destination and that also meant we would be out of phone reception for most of the day. I would know what was happening once I returned to the main land. People were going swimming and I was happy to jump onto the tender and get a ride to the beach where I stayed until we were picked up again when the snorkelling finished. I did learn something about the shorts. I havnt worn these shorts for several years and forgot I even had them until I found them in my wardrobe. The pockets come with buttons as in the main pockets and that way I wouldn’t worry about my phone falling into the water as I used that as my main form of picture taking.

 

Before we left for out next destination, we had lunch and that for me included a bun, mean, potato salad and greek salad with feta. These were on real plates and they did put them in a crate afterwards so they would be cleaned later. I could have gotten a drink on the tab, which would be paid back later, but I was happy with my water. The next destination was Whitehaven Beach, which apparently has been voted one of the best beaches in Australia. The sand is meant to be good for your skin too. I wanted to take a wander as we had nearly 2 hours to do what we wanted and I was wanting to see the lookouts. Being a cloudy day, you wouldn’t get to see the spectacular blue from the ocean. It didn’t worry me, although the clouds full of rain kind of did. I hoofed it back down the hill again as this was the first thing I did and I popped out on a different section of the beach. There was plenty of people around and several of the local wildlife crawling around looking for food. Once back on the beach, I still had time to wait for the pickup time and I sat on the beach watching the water for a little bit. That would be where we would head to our last destination.

The next destination was Whitsunday Island where we would be walking up as a group to the lookouts named 1, 2 and 3. The beach was really busy when we arrived and people were everywhere with one that seemed like a party cruise. As a group that soon spread out going up the hill we climbed for around 10 mins when we got to the windswept lookouts, there wa sa little bit of time before we made our way down and I stopped at some of the info signs along the way that gave little bits of information about the area and animals in the area. By the time we got back to the boat the beach was deserted and that was actually our last destination for the day before we headed back to Airlie Beach. Soon we were back into phone service and I was looking at the updates I had from the day that I caught up on. The last thing I did before heading back to the hostel was to have dinner at Hogs Breath. At first I thought I would have to reserve a seat or needed to as in the main section of town it was extremely busy. When I got to the far end of town it was quiet, although it wasn’t a long walk at all. I was able to get straight in as it was getting dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment